Twitter crashes after 16,000 New Year tweets per secondJanuary 1st, 2012 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 1 (IANS) Social networking site Twitter was out of action for over an hour in Britain after it was overloaded with New Year messages.
The site crashed around 3 p.m. Saturday. It coincided with midnight celebrations in Japan when revellers were sending a record 16,197 tweets per second, the Daily Mail reported Sunday.
The overload meant no one could post new messages or read existing ones. Instead, frustrated users were greeted with the error message: “Twitter is over capacity.”
The site returned to working order but then stopped on several other occasions, prompting speculation that it was being hit by the arrival of New Year in different parts of the world.
The meltdown happened as the world welcomed in 2012, a year of historic importance for Britain, with the Olympics, the Paralympics and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee set to be defining moments.
Up to 250,000 people poured into Central London, some in Trafalgar Square and others watching the pyrotechnics centred on the London Eye, the Mail said.
In Tokyo, people released helium balloons in front of the Tokyo Tower at midnight with notes attached listing their hopes for 2012. Many wished for a better year, following the earthquake and tsunami of 2011, the newspaper added.
- World celebrates arrival of 2012 - Jan 01, 2012
- British PM plays tennis with London mayor - Sep 09, 2011
- 12-week-long festival to herald in London Olympics - Jun 21, 2012
- Helium wasted on party balloons: Experts - Mar 22, 2012
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- Social networking sites flooded with Japan earthquake news - Mar 12, 2011
- Britain to celebrate Paralympics with disabled festival - Aug 22, 2012
- Jenson Button's girlfriend safe after Japan's devastating earthquake - Mar 12, 2011
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Our helium reserves to run out in 25 years - Aug 24, 2010
- Scientists recreate floating house from movie 'Up!' - Mar 08, 2011
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- London 2012 on time and within budget - Jun 14, 2012
- 'Suicide squad' mans Japan's n-plant (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Russian Paralympic archers sweep podium - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: central london, crashes, daily mail, defining moments, error message, helium balloons, london eye, london jan, meltdown, midnight celebrations, new year, new year messages, paralympics, revellers, social networking site, speculation, tokyo tower, trafalgar square, tweets, twitter