Tweed skirts, brown shoes for ‘The Queen’ made Mirren cryNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:49 am ICT by admin
“The Queen is so much a part of my parents’ generation and so much a part of the history and culture of Britain that although they were fervent antimonarchists it was very hard not to like her. But when I came to the costume fittings I literally cried,’ Times Online quoted Dame Helen, as saying at The Times Cheltenham Literature Festival..
Besides, after playing Elizabeth I in the TV series on the monarch, she reveals, she was in a sort of fantasyland since for the series she wore ostentatious stones.
“I’d just done Elizabeth I - that had been a trip into fantasyland. We shot it in Lithuania and they had made all this jewellery, pearls and diamonds and sapphires and they laid it out on a table in my dressing room. I dressed myself up like a Christmas tree,’ she said.
“To go from that to the brown shoes and tweed skirts, Barbour jackets and Hermes scarves, I found it very hard to be someone who chose to wear these clothes. I thought I would never be able to understand this woman,” she added.
However, the actress added that the costume designer as good and the tweed skirt was the best one could make.
“We had a very good costume designer and if it was a tweed skirt it was the best you could get, had a lining inside of beautiful silk and fitted me to the millimetre with a bit of padding that I was wearing. The fit of everything was perfect and then I understood what it felt like to be the Queen,” she said.
“I absolutely grew to love portraying someone unlike me who is not vain on that level in the slightest. She has all the diamonds in the world but she is at her happiest in old wellingtons and an old Barbour,’ she added. (ANI)
- Helen Mirren terrified about royal role - Jun 10, 2012
- Mirren named as favourite movie monarch: poll - Jan 19, 2011
- Queen has a charming persona: Mirren - Jun 11, 2012
- Helen Mirren's portrayal of 'The Queen' voted best movie monarch - Jan 18, 2011
- 'The Queen' Helen Mirren to 'skip' royal wedding - Apr 26, 2011
- How celebs find the perfect Oscars dress - Feb 27, 2011
- Lily Collins hated 'Mirror, Mirror' costumes - Feb 18, 2012
- Victoria Beckham a 'smart' dresser - Jul 13, 2012
- Dominic Cooper tried to woo Helen Mirren - Jul 26, 2011
- LiLo 'treasures' Elizabeth Taylor's ring - Feb 25, 2012
- Lara Dutta needs 'therapy when it comes to shopping' - Mar 02, 2010
- When Liz Taylor didn't return Donatella's ring - Jun 04, 2012
- US TV shows stir up row with comments on queen, blacks - Apr 30, 2011
- Minogue wants dresses with flattering arms - Jun 29, 2011
- Helen Mirren not appearing in Indira Gandhi biopic - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: actress, barbour jackets, brown shoes, cheltenham, costume designer, dame helen, diamonds, dressing room, elizabeth i, fantasyland, hermes scarves, literature festival, ostentatious, padding, queen, sapphires, skirt, skirts, tweed, wellingtons