Try Shiney Ahuja case in fast track court: NCW chiefJune 19th, 2009 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 19 (IANS) National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Girija Vyas Friday urged the Maharashtra government to try the case of Bollywood actor Shiney Ahuja - accused of raping his teenaged domestic help - in a fast track court.
Speaking to mediapersons here shortly after her arrival here Friday afternoon, Vyas said this was necessary in the interest of quick justice to both parties in the case.
“Moreover, in such cases, prolonged trial could result in the victim and witnesses being influenced or pressurised,” Vyas pointed out.
She said if quick justice can be rendered through a fast track court, it is good for the victim and also for the accused - if he is proved innocent.
The NCW chairperson has come to Mumbai to meet the victim who alleges she was raped by Shiney and lodged a complaint against him last Sunday. Vyas also expressed her willingness to meet Shiney’s wife Anupam.
The victim’s parents, who live in Kokbaan village in neighbouring Raigad district, also arrived in the city Friday morning to meet the NCW chief.
Shiney was arrested Sunday and sent to police custody for three days. Later, he was sent to judicial custody till July 2 and is now lodged in the Arthur Road Jail in south Mumbai.
He has been booked under Indian Penal Code (IPC) Sec 376 (rape), Sec 346 (wrongful restraint) and Sec 506 (threat to kill) among others.
Shiney has been seen in movies like “Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi”, “Gangster”, “Karam”, “Woh Lamhe”, “Fanaa”, “Hijack”, “Life In A Metro” and “Bhool Bhulaiyya” among others.
He has bagged over half a dozen prestigious awards for several of his movies in the past six years of his acting career.
-Indo-Asian News Service
- Shiney Ahuja to be tried for rape in fast-track court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Shiney Ahuja charged with rape, sent to police custody (Lead) - Jun 15, 2009
- Shiney hopes to shine again after 'Ghost' - Nov 28, 2011
- Micromax Mobile withdraws 'bai' ad, Shiney relieved - Nov 08, 2011
- Shiney faces more trouble as rape is confirmed (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Shiney slaps notice to Micromax on 'Bai' commercial - Oct 24, 2011
- Horror films have loyal audience, says Shiney Ahuja - Dec 02, 2011
- I hope Shiney will be declared innocent: Salman Khan - Mar 31, 2011
- Bollywood actor Shiny Ahuja formally arrested on rape charge - Jun 15, 2009
- Shiney set for second innings, thanks Bharat Shah - Nov 08, 2011
- Shiney Ahuja booked for rape, wrongful restraint - Jun 15, 2009
- Shiney Ahuja Will Bid Adieu To Mumbai, After June 30 - Jun 17, 2010
- Industry, fans warmer to me than before: Shiney Ahuja (Interview) - Aug 26, 2012
- Let the law judge Shiney's guilt, say his colleagues - Jun 17, 2009
- Victim categorically said she was raped by Shiney: NCW - Jul 04, 2009
Tags: acting career, arthur road, asian news, chairperson, domestic help, friday afternoon, friday morning, girija, half a dozen, indian penal code, judicial custody, lamhe, last sunday, maharashtra government, pressurised, prestigious awards, qn, raigad district, rape sec, vyas