TRPs rule the roost, affect storyline: TV actress Meghna MalikDecember 21st, 2010 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 20 (IANS) Television actress Meghna Malik, the popular Ammaji of “Na Aana Iss Des Laado” serial that is set to take an 18-year-leap, feels the storyline of serials often falls casualty in the battle over TRPs, leaving the actor dissatisfied.”TRPs rules the roost due to which the story often gets sidelined and we as an actors have no choice but to be a part of it. It does sometimes affect an actor’s satisfaction levels,” Meghna told IANS on phone from Mumbai.
Her character in “Naa Aana Iss Des Laado” is one of the most powerful characters on the small screen currently. Her role as the rude Ammaji who is against the birth of a girl child has even garnered awards.
The show, aired on Colors, is set to take an 18-year leap now. The story now shifts from rural landscape of Veerpur to Delhi with the introduction of two new characters, Raghav and Sia’s (son and daughter-in-law of Ammaji) twin daughters, played by Simran Kaur and Vaishnavi Dhanraj.
Meghna, 39, admits that often shows which start with focus on real-life issues lose track, adding that no single person can be blamed for it.
“It is a show and not a film that can be run with a linear storyline. It becomes important to introduce some drama otherwise people will get bored. The motive of a soap is to entertain people and thus a story has plots and sub-plots,” said Meghna, who has acted in shows like “Radhaa Ki Betiyaan Kuch Kar Dikhayengi”, “Har Ghar Kuch Kehta Hai” and “Tujko Hai Salaam Zindagi”.
“Moreover, the writers, directors and the producers have to churn out an episode everyday. So the show cannot be at its best always. One cannot expect great work always. It often becomes different from what is thought,” she added.
She was also seen in Aamir Khan starrer “Taare Zameen Par” as protagonist Ishaan, played by Darsheel Safary’s, maths teacher.
The actress believes that the battle of TRPs is also one of the prime reasons for content of television turning bold, something which created a stir recently in the ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
“Boldness on television is also a TRP gimmick, as a result they (show makers) often compromise with aesthetics. It is all dramatized and scripted. People are watching it that’s why it is there. Everything is groomed by TRPs today,” she said.
“People are watching a show and still criticising it, which is strange. One can always take the remote and change the channel, but they are not willing to do that,” she added.
Meghna rose to the limelight with a character with grey shades, but admits she is open to doing all kind of roles, even if it requires her to put a lot of glycerine.
“I am open to all kinds of roles as it helps bring forth your capabilities as an actor. I wouldn’t mind doing roles which requires me to cry. If you are doing the same kind of roles every time there is no challenge left,” she said.
- Farida Jalal returns to small screen as 'Ammaji' (With Images) - May 18, 2011
- 'Na Aana Is Des Laado' goes off air July 27 - Jun 29, 2012
- Aman Verma to play negative role in '...Laado' - Oct 29, 2010
- Ammaji of 'Laado' turns stuntwoman (Snippets) - Apr 16, 2010
- Ammaji-Sia Battle Now In Public Eye - Aug 07, 2010
- Ammaji finds her match in kidnapper Shikha - Apr 09, 2010
- Mallika Sherawat Comes As A Savior Of Sia In ‘Na Aana Is Des Laado’ - Oct 15, 2010
- Aman Verma Turns Negative As Bhanu Pratap On COLORS Na Aana Is Des Laado - Nov 02, 2010
- 'Laado' Goes The Damini Way - Jul 03, 2010
- Ammaji turns stuntwoman - Apr 13, 2010
- Ekta Kapoor to appear on Madhavan's game show? (TV Snippets) - Jul 09, 2010
- Multi-shaded characters excite Aman Verma - Jul 17, 2012
- Abhinav Shukla Aka Dev Bids Adieu To Geet-Hui Sabse Parayi - Dec 14, 2010
- Men have nothing to do on Indian TV: Aman Verma - Nov 05, 2010
- TV stars recall their school flag-hoisting ceremony on R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, aana, ammaji, birth of a girl, dhanraj, ghar, girl child, har ghar kuch kehta hai, kaur, maths teacher, prime reasons, raghav, rule the roost, safary, satisfaction levels, son and daughter, television actress, tv actress, twin daughters, zindagi