Travolta friend accused in ”extortion plot” insists innocenceJanuary 26th, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, January 26 (ANI): The former Bahamian Minister of Tourism and long-time friend of John Travolta, accused of involvement in the alleged extortion plot concerning the actor, has insisted that he is innocent.
Travolta was said to have become a victim of the extortion attempt over the death of his 16-year-old son Jett, who died from a seizure during a family holiday in the Bahamas on January 2.
The actor and his wife Kelly Preston had alleged that blackmailers threatened to publish a photo of their teenager as he lay struggling for his life, and make false claims unless they were paid “millions of dollars”.
Bahamas officials had held Obie Wilchcombe, along with Pleasant Bridgewater, an island attorney and lawmaker, and an ambulance driver Tarino Lightbourne for questioning for their alleged role in the 18-million-pound blackmail.
Wilchcombe, who was released from police custody, said that he was innocent, and that Bridgewater approached him with a warning that “someone was doing something untowards”.
Insisting that he acted with integrity, Wilchcombe claimed that he did a noble thing while looking out for his celebrity pal and his family.
“She knew I was close to the Travolta’’s. She wanted to bring something to my attention,” Us magazine quoted him as saying.
He continued: This is ridiculous and absurd. The Travolta’’s are suffering, it’’s just outright foolish. Never did I ask for anything, no one can say that. We had a friend in my country who lost a son. It was one single individual [who tried to take advantage of the family], the Bahamian people have been very kind to the Travoltas.” (ANI)
- Bahamas Police gets hold of tapes in Travoltas PS18m extortion attempt - Jan 26, 2009
- John Travolta extortion case dropped - Sep 07, 2010
- Bahamas senator accused in Travolta ''extortion plot'' resigns - Jan 26, 2009
- Travolta listed as a witness in extortion trial - Jan 28, 2009
- John Travolta drops extortion charges - Sep 07, 2010
- I am the real victim, says alleged Travolta extortionist - Sep 16, 2010
- John Travolta blackmail saga continues in court - Oct 15, 2009
- John Travolta Drops Extortion Case Against Bridgewater & Lightborne Due to Stress - Sep 07, 2010
- Details of Travolta extortion plot revealed - Jan 28, 2009
- Travolta bids for US trial - Oct 24, 2009
- Suspect in Travolta extortion trial released on bail - Feb 18, 2009
- Travolta extortion plot: Three held - Jan 24, 2009
- Travolta extortion trial may get fast-tracked - Feb 12, 2009
- Travolta refused medical aid for dying son - Sep 23, 2009
- Travolta Extortion case dropped - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: ambulance driver, bahamas, blackmail, bridgewater, extortion attempt, extortion plot, family holiday, innocence, integrity, island attorney, jett, john travolta, kelly preston, lawmaker, lightbourne, long time friend, minister of tourism, police custody, seizure, wife kelly