Travolta extortion trial may get fast-trackedFebruary 12th, 2009 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, February 12 (ANI): John Travoltas case involving an alleged 25-million-pound extortion attempt targeting the actor following the death of his 16-year-old son Jett may get fast-tracked.
The Hollywood heartthrob had informed the Bahamas police claiming blackmailers threatened to publish a photo of the teenager as he lay struggling for his life, and make false claims unless they were paid “millions of dollars”.
Cops had hauled in driver Tarino Lightbourne and charged him with conspiracy to commit extortion and attempted extortion.
Pleasant Bridgewater, an island attorney and lawmaker and Obie Wilchcombe, the islands ex-Minister of Tourism and a friend of the celebrity couple, had also faced probe for their alleged involvement.
And now, Bahamian prosecutors were said to be in the process of fast-tracking the case for trial before the Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas in Nassau.
The prosecution allegedly held plans to present a voluntary bill of indictment to Magistrate Carolita Bethel, also in Nassau.
“It’’s a time-saving device. The full preliminary inquiry is like a trial,” People magazine quoted a source as saying.
The Supreme Court is usually booked up months in advance. But they will give it top priority. They could substitute out another case,” the source added. (ANI)
- Suspect in Travolta extortion trial released on bail - Feb 18, 2009
- Details of Travolta extortion plot revealed - Jan 28, 2009
- John Travolta extortion case dropped - Sep 07, 2010
- Travolta listed as a witness in extortion trial - Jan 28, 2009
- Bahamas Police gets hold of tapes in Travoltas PS18m extortion attempt - Jan 26, 2009
- John Travolta drops extortion charges - Sep 07, 2010
- I am the real victim, says alleged Travolta extortionist - Sep 16, 2010
- Travolta refused medical aid for dying son - Sep 23, 2009
- John Travolta Drops Extortion Case Against Bridgewater & Lightborne Due to Stress - Sep 07, 2010
- Bahamas senator accused in Travolta ''extortion plot'' resigns - Jan 26, 2009
- Travolta Extortion case dropped - Sep 07, 2010
- Charges dropped against the two accused in the John Travolta extortion case - Sep 06, 2010
- Travolta's blackmailers caught on tape while making extortion deal - Sep 26, 2009
- Travolta friend accused in ''extortion plot'' insists innocence - Jan 26, 2009
- Travolta's extortion case declared mistrial - Oct 22, 2009
Tags: bahamas police, bethel, bill of indictment, celebrity couple, commonwealth of the bahamas, extortion attempt, february 12, hollywood heartthrob, island attorney, john travoltas, lawmaker, lightbourne, magistrate, minister of tourism, nassau, obie, people magazine, preliminary inquiry, prosecutors, top priority