TRAI To Implement Digital Addressable Cable TV Systems In India By 2013August 10th, 2010 - 9:30 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
August 10, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): The Cable Television in India is going to be digitalized as the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is planning to execute the Digital Addressable Cable TV systems by the end of 2013 in India.
This new initiative may eliminate the analogue system being used in India now. The proposed plan will be implemented in a phased manner, which will start from 2011 and will finish by the end of December 2013.
The digital addressable cable TV systems will be first implemented in the four metro cities viz. Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, and Bangalore. In the first phase, all the Indian cities with population of about one million will be covered. The urban areas throughout the country will be covered in the third phase and the fourth phase will cover the rest of the country.
In a press release, TRAI said, “With the implementation of digital TV, the consumers will be able to experience watching a high quality of television channels. The digital system will also enable the customers to watch more channels than the analogue cable”.
In fact, TRAI has planned to give some incentives to the stakeholders to encourage the quick implementation of the scheme. The service providers can earn tax holiday from 2011 April to 2019 March if they are able to execute the digital addressable Cable TV system prior to December 31, 2013. They will also earn the benefit of zero custom duty for all digital high end equipments and set-top-boxes.
TRAI has also thought of conducting the education programme to educate the stakeholders about the profit of digital addressable cable TV systems.
Once the things are implemented properly, India will see a revolution in the Indian TV distribution system.
- Telecom regulator recommends digital broadcast by 2013 - Aug 05, 2010
- Cable networks must go digital by 2014 - May 08, 2012
- Amity becomes first in India to host "Digitization of Cable TV Distribution System" seminar - Dec 15, 2010
- Tata Sky gearing up to meet demand post-digitisation - Feb 15, 2012
- Ready to meet digitalisation deadline: Cable TV operators - Jun 01, 2012
- Bill to digitalise cable TV passed by Lok Sabha - Dec 13, 2011
- Govt. proposes "Broadcasting Content Complaints Council" - Feb 18, 2011
- Cabinet clears digitisation of TV broadcasts - Oct 13, 2011
- Bryan Singer, McG Make Digital Shorts For Warner Bros. - Sep 24, 2010
- Pressmart launches tablet-based education solution - Jul 02, 2012
- 4G service to speed up British mobile internet by 16 times - Mar 23, 2011
- TRAI to float consultation paper on priority call routing - Nov 08, 2011
- TRAI seeks initial response on 2G spectrum auction by Feb 15 - Feb 03, 2012
- Fixed line phones can have 10-digit numbers, says TRAI - Aug 20, 2010
- Digital lifestyle brand Belkin launches 24x7 helpline in Hindi - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: analogue system, august 10, bangalore, cable television, cable tv system, cable tv systems, custom duty, digital tv, distribution system, fourth phase, indian cities, indian tv, kolkata, metro cities, stakeholders, tax holiday, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, television channels, tv distribution