Traffic jam keeps Abhishek Bachchan away from blast siteSeptember 16th, 2008 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 15 (IANS) A traffic snarl proved providential for Bollywood actor Abhishek Bachchan, who decided to turn back just as he was nearing Connaught Place to attend a function there Saturday evening - minutes before two blasts shook the area.His father, Hindi film icon Amitabh Bachchan, wrote on his blog, “Shattered and shocked he called to say he was alright.”
“Abhishek had left in the afternoon for New Delhi and was on his way to Connaught Place for a function he had to attend. Minutes away from there, the traffic became a snarl and he knew he would not make it in time so he asked to turn back. And the blast happened just then,” Amitabh wrote on his blog www.bigb.bigadda.com on Sunday.
Abhishek was here as part of a media promotional event and to shoot for the last scenes of his “Dilli 6″. However, he had to cancel his programme after the blast, considering the gravity of the situation, his father wrote.
“He was just not able to conduct them (activities). Cancelled them. It would have been too insensitive,” he wrote.
The veteran actor revealed that his son has left a decision on whether to continue the shooting to the producers.
“He has left the decision to the producers. Cancelling would be interpreted as succumbing to the threat. I wonder what they decide.”
Amitabh also expressed his grief for the victims of Saturday’s serial blasts.
“Jaya and I sit alone in the house, our hearts still with the tragedy in Delhi. What of those who bore the brunt - innocent unaware and victims.”
“We live in difficult times. What kind of an environment are we leaving behind for our next generation? Or do we not concern ourselves with that? We need peace and harmony,” he concluded.
The serial blasts - two each in Connaught Place and Greater Kailash M-Block market and one in Gaffar Market - left 23 people dead and around 100 injured.
- Abhishek injured again, fractures finger - Sep 25, 2011
- Time to 'pack up' were Rajesh Khanna's last words, says Big B - Jul 19, 2012
- Why Big B sneaked into his house? - Jan 02, 2012
- Amitabh's abdominal surgery legacy of 'Coolie' accident: Abhishek - Feb 10, 2012
- Amitabh shoots for next AB Corp film 'Bbuddah - Hoga terra baap!' - Mar 07, 2011
- India's World Cup victory breaks Amitabh's superstition - Apr 04, 2011
- Big B recreates 'My name is Anthony Gonsalves' - May 08, 2012
- Big B throws 'wrap-up' bash for 'Aarakshan' crew - Mar 14, 2011
- Break in at Big B's house - Jul 22, 2012
- Abhi-Ash to attend Oscars? - Feb 25, 2011
- Big B wants more work with Jaya - Mar 23, 2011
- London, Dubai premieres of 'Paa' cancelled - Nov 18, 2009
- Abhishek injured, gets six stitches - Sep 15, 2011
- Charges framed against 13 in Delhi blasts of 2008 - May 06, 2011
- Amitabh to move court against copyright infringement - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: abhishek bachchan, amitabh bachchan, brunt, connaught place, difficult times, dilli, film icon, gravity of the situation, grief, hearts, kailash, New Delhi, next generation, peace and harmony, producers, saturday evening, serial blasts, traffic jam, traffic snarl, veteran actor