Tough British visa rules bar even friendly CanadiansMay 23rd, 2009 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, May 23 (IANS) Britain’s new tough visa regime is biting even friendly nations like Canada, whose citizens don’t need visas to enter the European country.
The new visa rules, which came into force Nov 27 last year, are ostensibly aimed at fighting terrorism and illegal immigration.
Musician Allison Crowe and her two band mates became the new visa regime’s first Canadian victims when they were deported Friday from London’s Gatwick airport after being held for failing to produce a letter of sponsorship from the venues where they were scheduled to play.
According to the band’s manager, the British authorities confiscated their passports on arrival at Gatwick airport Tuesday.
While Crowe, guitarist Billy Woods and drummer Laurent Boucher were detained, another band member, bassist Dave Baird, was allowed entry as he holds dual British and Canadian citizenship.
Crowe, 27, was quoted as saying in the local media that the British authorities shut them in a room for six hours and threatened that she could never perform in Europe if her passport was stamped by the UK Border Authority as “barred from entry”.
The band was embarking on a month-long European tour from Britain.
A roots and soul singer, Crow has performed many times in Britain. She and her band are now flying from Toronto to Frankfurt to complete the rest of their European tour.
The band says German officials have told them that they are welcome into their country any time without any sponsorship papers.
- Pensioner living in UK for 64 years branded 'illegal immigrant' - Nov 20, 2010
- NRI woes on surrendering Indian passports (NRI Watch) - Aug 07, 2011
- Britons return home safe from Libya - Feb 26, 2011
- Britons returning safe from Libya speak of chaos, living hell - Feb 26, 2011
- Canada to issue 10-year visa from mid-July - Jun 16, 2011
- Heavy Snowfall Forces Temporary Closure Of Gatwick Airport - Dec 03, 2010
- 'Diary Of A Mad Band'-DVD By Down Releasing On 11th October - Aug 30, 2010
- Couple smuggles baby without visa in bag - Jul 09, 2012
- Tight British visas driving Indian students to Australia - May 22, 2012
- Canada outraged over security exemption for niqab-wearing women - Aug 02, 2010
- Chandy to help end expatriates' passport woes - Sep 28, 2011
- Amy Winehouse forming new band - Jul 03, 2010
- Mexican rock band Mana to tour major US cities - Jan 14, 2012
- Ash cloud closes Heathrow, Gatwick airports again - May 17, 2010
- PM back returns to Delhi after G-20 summit - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: allison crowe, band mates, band member, bassist dave, border authority, british authorities, british visa, canadian citizenship, dave baird, fighting terrorism, gatwick airport, german officials, guitarist billy, illegal immigration, local media, passports, soul singer, visa regime, visa rules, which came into force