Tony Greene - The Gospel Singer Passes AwaySeptember 29th, 2010 - 8:01 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar,
Sep 29 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Tony Greene, the Gospel Singer passed away yesterday afternoon at 4:30 pm, at an young age of 41, survived by his wife, TaRanda Greene, his two little daughters, Esabella, 6, and Jocelyn (Josie), brother Tim and sister Kim. He was removed from the ventilator, in the early afternoon when the rumor of his death was spread in the net. However, he could breathe several hours after that, and finally left his breathe at 4:30 PM. It is reported all his family members were there with him in the final hours to “sing him into glory”.
With his death, it seems an entire generation of Gospel Music has come to an end. Anthony Elden Greene, who adopted his nick name “Tony”, when he started his music career in 1980s, was admitted to Carolina Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C., since September 21 as he was suffering from several health problems. Hampton’s Funeral Service says that the late singer was responsible for the promotion and sustenance of Southern Gospel Music in various countries across the world. For almost 30, years, he has taken the initiative and responsibility to make the long-running Gospel Singing Jubilee multi-day concert held in Boone.
He created his band the “Greenes” with his siblings, Kim and Tim and father Everette, in 1980s. However, they only came to prominence latter in that decade. As Kim got married to Dean Hopper, she was replaced by TaRanda, whom he started dating, and finally tied knot with her. His death made several of his fans mourn for his early and unfortunate death. All those who are involved with Gospel music, believe that though the singer has left his body, his soul still exists with the Lord himself.
- Thousands Gathers At MaLinda Sapp's Funeral - Sep 17, 2010
- Blues Singer Marvin Sease Dies At 64 - Feb 09, 2011
- Walter Hawkins Dies At 61 - Jul 13, 2010
- Grammy Award Winning Singer Walter Hawkins Dead - Jul 12, 2010
- Galaxy of stars pay tearful tribute to Houston - Feb 19, 2012
- Bishop Kenneth Moales Sr. Passes Away After Suffering Heart Attack - Sep 22, 2010
- Gospel Singer Walter Hawkins' Funeral Witnesses Huge Turnout - Jul 22, 2010
- Legendary "Sing Along" Artist Mitch Miller Dies At 99 - Aug 03, 2010
- Gospel Musician Walter Hawkins dies - Jul 12, 2010
- Kashmiri artists and ghazal lovers mourn Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Grammy Award-Winning Singer Solomon Burke Dies - Oct 11, 2010
- Music world mourns death of Jagjit Singh - Oct 10, 2011
- Bengali singer Biman Mukhopaddhyay passes away - Mar 16, 2011
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
- Khale a maestro till his last breath: Mahadevan - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,