Tom Cruise turned down Milk roleJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 5:01 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, January 22 (ANI): Tom Cruise was initially offered the acclaimed role played by James Brolin in the 2008 biographical Milk.
Director Gus Van Sant revealed his first choice for the part of Dan White, a Vietnam veteran and an ex police officer and firefighter, was Cruise, hoping the actor, along side Sean Penn, would set the controversial film to a fiery start.
“I thought if I connected those two guys (Cruise and Penn) at the time I could go into the studio and say, ”Look, I have these two guys” and they would do it, Contactmusic quoted him as saying.
“There was always the problem with the gay community aspect of the film so they needed a reason to overcome that fear that they had of making a film that wasn”t going to have a very big return money wise, so that was my plan,” he added.
The movie has been speculated to draw much attention at the Academy Award ceremony next month. (ANI)
- 'Milk' voted best gay movie of the decade - May 17, 2011
- 'Milk': Giving competition to 'Slumdog...' at Oscars (IANS Film Review; Rating: ****) - Feb 21, 2009
- Madonna "cried and cried" watching ex Penn in 'Milk' - May 04, 2010
- Lautner to work with Gus Van Sant - Nov 03, 2011
- Dustin Lance Black wins best original screenplay Oscar - Feb 23, 2009
- James Franco felt uncomfortable with gay scene in movie - Dec 01, 2008
- Sean Penn pushed for more gay sex in 'Milk' - Dec 03, 2008
- Madonna wept watching Penn in 'Milk' - May 05, 2010
- Brolin in talks for 'Crazy for the Storm' - Aug 23, 2012
- Franco to hold art seminar - Jul 31, 2011
- Lowe, Cruise picked up fight on 'The Outsiders' sets - May 17, 2011
- James Franco Says 'Maybe I'm Just Gay', Makes Fans Exuberant! - Jan 08, 2011
- Sean Penns Milk named Best Political Film - Dec 11, 2008
- Search for director of 'Breaking Dawn' on - Mar 18, 2010
- Sean Penn wanted more sex scenes in gay biopic Milk - Dec 03, 2008
Tags: academy award, award ceremony, community aspect, controversial film, director gus van, director gus van sant, fear, first choice, gay community, gus, gus van sant, james brolin, police officer, return money, sean penn, tom cruise, two guys, vietnam veteran