Tom Cruise to split with business partner Paula WagnerAugust 15th, 2008 - 10:12 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Aug 15 (DPA) Tom Cruise is splitting from his long-time business and production partner Paula Wagner, who is resigning as chief executive of United Artists, the legendary studio that the pair was trying to revive, the Hollywood Reporter said Thursday. The report said the development marks the end of the Cruise/Wagner partnership, which has been one of the tightest in Hollywood since 1993. But publicly both sides are insisting they will continue to work on projects together.
A joint MGM-UA statement late Wednesday said Wagner will continue to be a part owner of UA and hold a significant stake in the company’s future success.
“Nothing will change in regard to Cruise’s involvement with UA, and he continues to have a substantial ownership interest in the company. Furthermore, Cruise and Wagner will continue to work on film projects together,” the statement said.
Wagner and Cruise took over United Artists in 2006 as the controversial star and Scientology advocate looked to reverse a string of box office disappointments.
However their first two projects at the legendary studio founded in 1919 by Charlie Chaplin have been dogged with problems. The Iraq War polemic “Lions for Lambs” earned just $15 million at the box office, while Cruise’s current project the Hitler assassination drama “Valkyrie” has been repeatedly postponed and is now scheduled for release this December in the US.
The split of Cruise and Wagner came just two weeks after Wagner’s husband Rick Nicita, also split with the star, with many in Hollywood seeing the development as a reflection of Cruise’s unhappiness with the downward spiral his career seems to be taking.
- Tom Cruise's son enters big screen war - Aug 11, 2009
- Tom Cruise eyes 'comeback' in three new films - Aug 20, 2008
- Was the Church of Scientology auditioning women for Tom Cruise to marry? - Jul 09, 2012
- Four in training for 'Red Dawn' remake - Aug 10, 2009
- Tom Cruises production partner steps down - Aug 14, 2008
- Tom Cruise to play comic book superhero - Aug 20, 2008
- Is Tom Cruise going to tie the knot with Yolanda Pecoraro? - Jul 19, 2012
- Cruise''s United Artists studio survives Wall Street mayhem - Sep 20, 2008
- Sahara confirms MGM rescue bid - Sep 21, 2010
- Scientology behind JLo, Marc split? - Aug 14, 2011
- Sony to co-finance, distribute 'James Bond' - Apr 14, 2011
- Paula Patton joins 'Mission Impossible 4' team - Sep 03, 2010
- Annapurna builds world-class film studios in Hyderabad - Apr 14, 2012
- Producers Guild of America to honour James Cameron - Sep 23, 2010
- James Cameron to be honoured with Producers Guild award - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: charlie chaplin, current project, disappointments, downward spiral, film projects, hitler assassination, hollywood reporter, iraq war, legendary studio, lions for lambs, mgm ua, ownership interest, paula wagner, production partner, scientology, time business, tom cruise, unhappiness, united artists, valkyrie