Tobacco battle helped Gwyneth Paltrow play alcoholic in new movieDecember 21st, 2010 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 21 (ANI): Gwyneth Paltrow has revealed that her own struggle with tobacco addiction helped her play an alcoholic in new movie ‘Country Strong’.
In the acclaimed new film, the Oscar-winning actress plays Kelly Canter - a fallen country performer battling personal problems and alcohol addiction who attempts to resurrect her career.
And she threw herself into her part by recalling her own experiences with addiction, remembering how she couldn’t give up nicotine even though her father Bruce died from smoking-related cancer in 2002.
“I understood what it was like. I used to be very addicted to cigarettes, which is obviously very different to where Kelly is,” the Daily Express quoted Paltrow as telling The Sun.
“So I did understand that thing of, ‘I know this is potentially going to give me cancer and I know it’s given my dad cancer, but I’m going to smoke it anyway,’ like that sort of disconnect.
“So I tried to extrapolate that out as much as possible, but what I didn’t understand was how you could wreck someone’s life or wreck your own life and then just keep going,” she said.
The actress turned to her ‘Iron Man’ co-star Robert Downey, Jr., who won his battles with drugs and booze, for advice on living with an addiction.
“I said, ‘Explain this to me - how you can cheat, how you can be a total disaster and really hurt people and just kind of wake up and have a cup of coffee? How does that work?’” the actress said.
“He explained it to me really well and I credit him with helping me to understand how addiction is in the present, in the physical,” she added. (ANI)
- Paltrow took help from Downey Jr. to play addict - Mar 27, 2011
- Paltrow gets drunk to play alcoholic singer - Jan 08, 2011
- Actress Gwyneth Paltrow Turned To Robert Downey Jr. To Receive Addiction Tips - Jan 03, 2011
- Paltrow bled to play guitar for 'Country Song' - Mar 28, 2011
- Gwyneth Paltrow Had A Secret Weapon For The Addiction In 'Country Strong' - Jan 03, 2011
- Gwyneth Paltrow got 'addict' advice from Robert Downey Jr. - Jan 03, 2011
- Paltrow gets greenfield to edit newsletter - May 20, 2012
- Britney Spears 'inspired' Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Country Strong' character - Dec 17, 2010
- Germs good for my kids: Gwyneth Paltrow - Sep 12, 2012
- Want to quit smoking? Get professional help - Jan 04, 2011
- Rolled out cigarettes more addictive, shows study - Jan 13, 2011
- Britney Spears 'inspired' Gwyneth Paltrow's 'Country Strong' characters 'inspired' - Jan 07, 2011
- Dunst uses hypnotherapy to stop smoking - Aug 04, 2011
- Gwyneth Paltrow Remembers Tom Cruise As “An Amazing Kisser” - Jan 06, 2011
- Demi Lovato appeals against drugs, alcohol - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: actress, alcohol addiction, cancer, canter, cigarettes, co star, country performer, cup of coffee, dad, daily express, disaster, drugs and booze, gwyneth paltrow, iron man, new film, nicotine, personal problems, robert downey, robert downey jr, tobacco addiction