Time now to groove on Bollywood’s hot item songsJuly 14th, 2012 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) From “Chikni chameli”, “Ooh la la” to “Anarkali disco chali” - in recent times, Bollywood has produced some peppy item numbers that can get you out of slumber and push you to put on your dancing shoes!
Filmmakers, choreographers and actors have condemned the use of the term “item number”, but that hasn’t taken away the jazzy, raunchy and foot-tapping feel and popularity of such songs.
IANS lists some new and not-so-new chart-topping item numbers:
“Anarkali disco chali” (”Housefull 2″): Item song queen Malaika Arora Khan burnt the dance floor in her floor-length anarkali dress as she grooved to this song. The peppy number, one of the hot favourites in party circuits nowadays, has many ‘anarkalis’ dancing to it in the ‘disco’!
“Dil mera muft ka” (”Agent Vinod”): Who would think a mujra would work with today’s generation? But Kareena Kapoor’s modern-day style mujra struck a delightful chord with youngsters thanks to this song, a fusion of modern and contemporary beats.
“Aa ante amalapuram” (”Maximum”): British-Indian actress Hazel Keech sizzled in a sexy way on this Hindi version of a popular southern song. Its fast paced beats, and screechy tone makes it the chosen track for dance lovers, knocked out after a drink or two!
“Chikni chameli” (”Agneepath”): The soft and sophisticated Katrina Kaif broke the typecast when she did a Lavani-inspired dance in this raunchy song. She danced with a bottle of alcohol hanging on her waist. Fans liked Katrina’s rustic avatar in the track, sung by Shreya Ghoshal.
“Ooh la la” (”The Dirty Picture”): Vidya Balan shocked her fans when she took on the sizzling avatar of southern sex siren Silk. From the naughty lyrics, catchy tune to the over-the-top and exposive outfits, music lovers have cheered the song since its launch and it continues to play in discotheques.
“Sheila ki Jawaani” (”Tees Maar Khan”): It was an instant hit. Thanks to the beats, lyrics and of course, Katrina’s deadly dance moves - the song, well with its quirkiness, made its way up to the charts and retained its glory for a long time. The film may not have fared well, but this spicy and sensational number became a winner.
“Munni badnaam hui” (”Dabangg”): A complete entertainer with Malaika Arora Khan’s seductive moves and Salman Khan’s crazy antics, “Munni badnaam” became the hottest and sexiest item number of 2010. The ‘Jhandu balm’ step was of course, an added attraction, copied by dance enthusiasts across the country.
“Beedi” (”Omkara”): With this number, dusky beauty Bipasha Basu proved she can dance, and how! She set the screen on fire with her moves in “Beedi” with her carefree dancing in a bold, rustic look in a lehenga-choli.
“I hate you” (”Delhi Belly”): Aamir Khan’s pelvic thrusts made this one a must-have in this list. His retro wigs, shiny hipsters and eye-warming style of dance in this Hinglish number, which asked you to “shake that biscuit baby!”
- Bollywood open to everybody: Malaika - Jun 20, 2012
- TV is my first love: Malaika Arora Khan - Sep 18, 2012
- Now a film based on Osho's ideology (Movie Snippets) - Mar 26, 2012
- Sonam mum on film with Dhanush (Movie Snippets) - Mar 24, 2012
- Farah Khan turns item girl! - Jul 13, 2012
- Who'll dance as Munni in Tamil 'Dabangg'? - Aug 24, 2011
- Bengali model to sizzle in item number a la 'Munni' (With Images) - Jun 08, 2011
- Move over 'Sheila', 'Chikni chameli' is here - Dec 24, 2011
- Itsy-bitsy cholis spice up Bollywood (Feature) - Dec 03, 2011
- David Dhawan proud of Katrina's 'Chikhni chameli' - Jan 27, 2012
- Katrina as 'Chikni chameli' in 'Agneepath' - Nov 15, 2011
- Why is Katrina 'Chikni Chameli'? - Dec 22, 2011
- Neil excited about big screen love story (Movie Snippets) - Dec 26, 2011
- 'There can't be another Rakhi Sawant' (movie Snippets) - Dec 20, 2011
- Big heroines don't need item numbers: Hema Malini - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: bottle of alcohol, catchy tune, chali, chameli, choreographers, dance lovers, dancing shoes, foot tapping, hindi version, indian actress, kareena kapoor, katrina kaif, keech, malaika arora, malaika arora khan, muft, mujra, shreya ghoshal, vidya balan, vinod