Tilt to project Imran in ‘Kidnap’ wrong: Sanjay GadhviOctober 6th, 2008 - 10:38 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 6 (IANS) New kid on the block Imran Khan has got more space than seasoned actor Sanjay Dutt in the publicity campaign of just-released “Kidnap”. The film’s director, Sanjay Gadhvi, has termed it a wrong move and an example of how the industry worships the “rising sun”.Reacting to the tilt in the publicity balance, Gadhvi told IANS: “At first, I’d say the ratio of space allotted to Sanjay Dutt and Imran was 50:50. As the release approached, it tilted somewhat towards Imran. I guess he’s seen as the wonder boy from ‘Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na’. And the film business worships the rising sun.”
Sanjay Dutt was not available for comment as he has taken off for an African safari with his friends.
Dharam Oberoi, the CEO of Sanjay Dutt Films, said: “We had noticed the disparity in the space being allotted to Sanjay and Imran in hoardings and other publicity material. The film’s director, Sanjay Gadhvi, would be the best person to answer why this is so.”
“Kidnap”, released Thursday, is produced by Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd. The production house’s last big hit was “Jab We Met”.
Gadhvi added: “Sometimes it is important for an individual to look beyond the immediate benefits. So I’d like to say, this tilt towards projecting Imran was wrong. If I had a say, I’d never do it.
“Sanjay is not only the actor who made this project possible, he’s a dear friend. In fact, he wanted me to come to the safari with him. But I was in Kolkata promoting my film. Such is life,” Gadhvi added.
Gadhvi said he was not too familiar with these marketing strategies. “I’m zero at it. Even when I was at Yash Raj Films, I never bothered with how ‘Dhoom’ and ‘Dhoom 2′ were marketed. I guess the producers of ‘Kidnap’ knew what they were doing.”
- Kunal Kapoor's 'Luv Shuv Tey...' to come out in November (Movie Snippets) - Sep 12, 2012
- Actors are like little children: Sanjay Gadhvi - Sep 13, 2012
- Not making 'Jaane Tu...' sequel: Abbas Tyrewala - Mar 13, 2012
- Imran Khan is a bonus for 'Kidnap': Sanjay Gadhvi - Sep 25, 2008
- Uday Chopra became too old for 'Kidnap': Sanjay Gadhvi - Oct 07, 2008
- Sanjay Gadhvi's troubles - Sep 24, 2009
- Imran turns a baddie in 'Kidnap' (Preview) - Sep 30, 2008
- Cinema no more wholesome family entertainer: Imran Khan (Interview) - Jun 30, 2011
- Aditya Chopra not directing 'Dhoom 3' - Nov 19, 2010
- Imran Khan wants Katrina for 'Delhi Belly' item number (With images) - May 17, 2011
- 'Dhoom 3' on the way: Abhishek Bachchan - Jun 10, 2010
- 'Dhoom' great franchise to be part of, says 'villain' Aamir - Feb 03, 2011
- Imran no longer a hot property! - Aug 01, 2009
- I will cry if BLUE goes wrong - Anthony D'Souza - Oct 16, 2009
- Ashtavinayak announces Luck and Blue Release Dates - Jun 12, 2009