Tiger Woods hits record low in popularity pollDecember 16th, 2009 - 2:45 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Dec 16 (ANI): Tiger Woods’ popularity is on a downward spiral, and a new poll has shown how golf’s one-time king of the hill is languishing under a mountain of bad publicity.
According to a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll, Woods’ “favourable” rating dropped to 33 percent, which is significantly down from the 85 percent favourable rating he got in June 2005, when he bordered on beloved.
His “unfavourable” rating surged to 57 percent from only 8 percent four years ago.
The new numbers come after a horrendous three-week public unravelling, which involved news of another adulterous affair involving the image-conscious golf great everyday.
Woods opened the decade with the highest popularity rating in Gallop history-a humongous 88 percent-which helped him become one of corporate America’s premier pitchmen.
But his popularity came crashing down after a quirky car accident lifted the lid on Tiger’s string of mistresses.
“For many years, Woods was the most positively rated person we rated. Now he ranks worse than a lot of the politicians we measure. The drop is definitely unprecedented,” the New York Post quoted Jeffrey Jones, the Gallup Poll’s managing editor as saying.
The national poll of 1,025 U.S. adults was done from Friday through Sunday and respondents were asked their opinion after Woods’ admitted to “infidelity.”
Woods’ popularity suffered most with women-his unfavourable rating is 8 points higher among women, 61 percent, than men, 53 percent. (ANI)
- Nike chief says Woods indiscretion a minor blip on glorious golf career - Dec 15, 2009
- Over five in ten Americans still view George W. Bush as unpopular: USA Today/Gallup Poll - Nov 11, 2010
- India ranks sixth in image rating by Americans - Feb 19, 2010
- First lady Michelle more popular than Obama - Oct 23, 2009
- Just 33pc Alaskans have positive opinion of Sarah Palin: Poll - Dec 30, 2010
- Tiger Woods' popularity ratings take a tumble - Dec 08, 2009
- Republicans appear poised to win big in US poll - Nov 01, 2010
- Michelle, Hillary Clinton more popular than Obama - Dec 31, 2009
- Support for Obama hits new low point: Survey - Dec 15, 2011
- Sarah Palin's popularity rising, but still well behind Obama: Poll - Dec 18, 2009
- 9/11 permanently changed American lives: Poll - Sep 09, 2011
- Obama's approval ratings up after Osama bin Laden's death: Polls - May 04, 2011
- Americans view India more favourably than Pakistan in Gallup poll - Feb 20, 2010
- Clinton tops Obama and others in administration: Gallup - Apr 03, 2011
- Obama's state of the union address gets high ratings among Americans: Poll - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: adulterous affair, bad publicity, conscious golf, corporate america, downward spiral, favourable, gallop, gallup poll, infidelity, jeffrey jones, king of the hill, mistresses, national poll, new numbers, new poll, new york dec, new york post, popularity poll, tiger woods, usa today