Tibetans hold separate Olympics in DharamsalaMay 22nd, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by admin
Satovari (Himachal Pradesh), May 22 (ANI): Tibetan exiles living in Dharamsala are holding a parallel Olympics prior to the Beijing Olympics to garner world attention towards their ‘freedom struggle.’
The Tibetan Olympics started today in Satovari, a hilly resort near Dharamsala, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile, ahead of the Beijing Olympics in August 2008.
The four-day long Tibetan Olympics will witness ten events, including shooting, archery, swimming, running, high jump, and long jump.
“The participants will play in ten different sports. It will be a four days event. The finale will be on Sunday,” said Lobsang Wangyal, director of the organising committee of
The organisers claimed that the Tibetan youths in exile are quite talented, but they are unable to participate in the Beijing Olympics.
The event is an effort to give an opportunity to the Tibetan youths, said the organisers.
The exiles have been staging demonstrations over the past few months protesting against the alleged Chinese suppression and occupation of the Tibetan territory.
In March, Tibetans in exile carried a torch relay similar to the Olympic torch with the slogan ‘One World, Many Dreams’, in Dharamsala, or ‘Mini Lhasa’ as it is known due to the large number of Tibetans in the town, in contrast to the Beijing Olympic torch with the slogan ‘One World, One Dream’. (ANI)
- Miss Tibet pageant cancelled - May 02, 2012
- Six to compete for Miss Tibet title - May 28, 2011
- Lifetime achievement award for Tibetan opera artist - Oct 16, 2011
- Exiles to step on Tibetan soil brought to Himachal - Oct 25, 2011
- Sangay for resumption of talks with China - Mar 10, 2012
- First Tibetan women's team to keep date with ball (With Image) - May 25, 2012
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Find 'middle way' for Tibet solution: Sangay - Nov 27, 2011
- Tenzin Norzom is Miss Tibet - Jun 07, 2010
- Who will lead the Tibetan cause after Dalai Lama? - Mar 19, 2011
- Global torch relay to focus attention on Tibet - Sep 02, 2012
- Tibetans thrilled over new prime minister - Aug 07, 2011
- Campaign on Tibet planned in northeast - Mar 01, 2012
- Dalai Lama not to address Tibetans on 'uprising day' - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: archery, beijing olympics, demonstrations, dharamsala, different sports, freedom struggle, high jump, himachal pradesh, lhasa, olympic torch, olympics, organisers, organising committee, slogan, suppression, tibetan exiles, tibetan government in exile, tibetan territory, torch relay, world attention