Three films starring Shalim Ortiz to debut in 2011June 3rd, 2011 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
Miami, June 3 (IANS/EFE) Three films featuring Puerto Rican actor Shalim Ortiz, who plays a detective, a Vietnam War veteran and a young man in love, are scheduled to be released over the next few months.
Ortiz says the role in “Sangre de Familia”, a drama involving love, murder and reincarnation that will debut in October at Mexico’s Morelia International Film Festival, came to him thanks to the intervention of a fan.
“They hired me through Facebook. A fan, who followed my career and that of producer Rigoberto Castaneda, was the contact person,” the artist told EFE in a phone interview from Los Angeles.
Ortiz plays the role of a man (Alejandro) who is reacquainted with his wife from several lifetimes ago and together they face various challenges that will test whether they are meant for one another.
Filmed in Mexico, the movie helped Ortiz make contacts for other projects such as the crime drama “Abril y Mayo”, a story about two teenage serial killers in which the Puerto Rican actor plays detective David Quintero.
“Abril y Mayo” is expected to hit theatres at the end of 2011.
In yet another Ortiz film slated for release this year, “Bad Ass”, the actor takes on the role of Frank Vega, a young soldier who leaves behind everything - including the love of his life - to serve in Vietnam.
Filming of that project concluded in April in Oklahoma.
The 32-year-old son of Dominican singer and TV presenter Charytin Goyco and Puerto Rican actor and producer Elin Ortiz said his character in “Bad Ass” touched him on a personal level and made him more aware of the psychological and physical trauma suffered by veterans.
“Bad Ass” will debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.
- Ricky Martin performs in Miami - Apr 11, 2011
- Three die in Puerto Rico nursing home fire - Sep 05, 2012
- Puerto Rico busts septuagenarian for selling drugs - Mar 07, 2012
- Ex-Miss Universe resumes acting career after having baby - Aug 04, 2012
- Soccer player suspended for fight sparked by racist insult - Apr 06, 2011
- `Macho' Camacho to have show on YouTube channel - Sep 19, 2012
- Chayanne releases cover version of classic song - Sep 29, 2011
- Ruben Blades, Cheo Feliciano release salsa CD - May 31, 2012
- Don Omar, Prince Royce big winners at Billboard Latin awards - Apr 28, 2012
- Don Omar keeps top spot on latin songs chart - Jul 15, 2011
- Luis Fonsi's latest shoots to top of Latin Albums chart - Jul 08, 2011
- Puerto Rican boxer shot dead - Jun 09, 2011
- Reggaeton duo film documentary in Cuba - Jan 31, 2012
- Roberto Duran bio-pic to begin filming in June - Apr 03, 2012
- Puerto Rican rapper releases new album - Nov 02, 2011
Tags: bad ass, castaneda, crime drama, david quintero, frank vega, international film festival, lifetimes, morelia, personal level, phone interview, physical trauma, puerto rican, reincarnation, serial killers, shalim ortiz, three films, toronto international film festival, tv presenter, vietnam war, vietnam war veteran