Three-day Goa Carnival beginsFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 11:48 am ICT by ANI
Panaji, Feb 22 (ANI): The annual Goa Carnival began with apex of excitement and frolic at Panaji.
Incidentally, this traditional and historical event is observed just prior to the commencement of Lent period of 40 days of austere lifestyle.
A hallmark of the much-awaited three-day festival was the parading of colourful tableaux depicting the cultural heritage of Goa and the influence of Portuguese. It was a colony of Portugal for over two centuries until 1961.
Thus to herald this carnival, Panaji witnessed the local populace being joined by hundreds of tourists from home and abroad, all indulging in revelry.
“I like this festival. I have been to Panji for the first time,” said Maria, a tourist from Germany.
The colours of the carnival enchanted the onlookers as the pageants and floats passed through the city’’s main thoroughfares.
The participants tried to give an ethnic hue to the event despite the commercialised trends gradually eroding the state’’s rich multi-lingual and religious cultural inheritance.
“As the years are passing, this tradition is vanishing and its necessary that we emphasise that how people used to stay before post liberation,” said Raul Pereira, an artisan who designed a tableau depicting Goan heritage.
The carnival marks merriment and precedes the 40 days of Lent observed before Easter when Goa abstains from any kind of merriment.
The Goan Carnival is one of the major attractions for overseas and domestic tourists visiting the world famous tourist spot. (ANI)
- Three day Goa carnival begins - Mar 06, 2011
- Carnival celebrations kick off in Goa - Mar 05, 2011
- Goa carnival begins March 5 (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Goa's four-day carnival begins March 5 - Feb 11, 2011
- After Carnival, Goa goes into Shigmo festivities - Mar 21, 2011
- Goa's carnival festivities in limbo due to polls - Feb 09, 2012
- Benefica may soon play with Goa soccer team - Aug 30, 2012
- Goa carnival to begin without Brazilian Samba float - Jan 20, 2010
- 11 hurt in accident during Goa's carnival parade - Mar 09, 2011
- Goa readies for cool dip, Sao Joao feast on Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- Carnival celebrations allowed in Goa, with poll rider - Feb 16, 2012
- 11 injured in accident during Goa's carnival parade (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Poll panel showcases ballot power in R-Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Carnival in Goa - Feb 03, 2008
- Younger Goans in Portugal prefer movies to culture - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: apex, artisan, carnival, cultural heritage, domestic tourists, frolic, goa, goan carnival, goan heritage, hallmark, hue, merriment, onlookers, pageants, panaji, pereira, populace, revelry, thoroughfares, tourist spot