This day in history: 4th April 2009April 4th, 2009 - 1:30 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
1859 - Opera “Dinorah” is produced (Paris)
1949 - Parveen Babi (April 4, 1949 - January 20, 2005) was an Indian actress, who is most remembered for her glamourous roles alongside top heroes of the 1970s and early 80s in blockbusters like Deewar, Namak Halaal, Amar Akbar Anthony and Shaan
1952 - N. Chandra (born 4 April), born Chandrashekhar Narvekar, is an Indian producer, writer and director, known for his dark and loud films such as Ankush, Pratighaat, Tezaab and Narasimha, made as a film editor in the beginning of his career. Chandra also made the successful but critically scorned Style and its sequel Xcuse Me.
1959 - Guddi Maruti (born 4 April) is considered the very face of “Comedy’ in many successful films in Bollywood. She is a successful comic actor who is now into Television.
1960 - 32nd Academy Awards - “Ben-Hur,” Charlton Heston & Simone Signoret win
1960 - Elvis Presley recorded “Are You Lonesome Tonight.”
1960 - Oscar awarded to Neth director Bert Haanstra
1964 - The Beatles made music history by holding the top five places in the singles charts with: “Can’t Buy Me Love,” “Twist and Shout,” “She Loves You,” “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and “Please Please Me.”
1965 - Robert John Downey, Jr. (born April 4) is an American actor and musician. Downey made his screen debut at the age of five. He was cast as Charlie Chaplin in the 1992 film Chaplin, for which he gained an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor.
1970 - Janis Joplin held a reunion concert with Big Brother & the Holding Company in San Francisco, CA.
1972 - Lisa Rani Ray (born April 4) is an Indo-Canadian actress and former fashion model. Ray was spotted by an agent in a crowd during a family vacation in India when she was 16, when she began modelling.
1973 - Pallavi Joshi is an Indian film/television actor of Marathi origin. She is a one time National Film Award winning actor.
1976 - Simran Bagga (born Rishibala Naval on April 4, 1976) is an Indian actress who has acted in Tamil, Hindi, Telugu and Malayalam films.
1978 - Gaurav Chopra is a popular Actor in Indian television.
1979 - Heath Andrew Ledger (4 April 1979–22 January 2008) was an Australian television and film actor. His work includes nineteen films, most notably, A Knight’s Tale (2001), Brokeback Mountain (2005), and The Dark Knight (2008).
1989 - Pepsi dismissed Madonna as a spokesperson after her “Like a Prayer” video was called “blasphemous” by the Vatican.
1990 - Gloria Estefan left the hospital after being injured in a bus crash on March 20.
1996 - Howard Stern Radio Show premieres in Austin TX on KJFK 98.9 FM
2002 - It was announced that the 19-year-old band Megadeth had broken up.
2008 – Bharam (Milind Soman, Dino Moreo) and Shaurya (Rahul Bose) were released. -Sampurn Media
- Ben Stiller to get the BAFTA for comedy - Aug 24, 2011
- Kolkata gears up to salute Mother Teresa Thursday (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Kolkata prepraes to salute Mother Teresa - Aug 25, 2010
- Downey Jr. hasn't got his due: Amitabh - Jul 18, 2011
- Toronto to commemorate the legendary Raj Kapoor - Jun 18, 2011
- Sailen Manna - Factfile - Feb 27, 2012
- Robert Downey Jr. Honored With Renaissance Award - Jun 22, 2010
- U.S. Time mag unveils 'Top 10 Cannes Film Festival Movies' of all time - May 16, 2010
- Talent that became victim of drugs - Feb 12, 2012
- Actor Ben Gazzara dies in US - Feb 05, 2012
- Robert Downey Jr. to star in musical - Dec 07, 2010
- Osian's film fest begins with tribute to Rajesh Khanna - Jul 28, 2012
- Chaplin comes to India this X-Mas in high definition - Dec 03, 2010
- British actress Susannah York dies aged 72 - Jan 16, 2011
- Clint Eastwood To Helm Fourth Version Of 'A Star Is Born' With Beyonce Knowles - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: 1859 opera dinorah, academy award nomination, amar akbar anthony, blockbusters, canadian actress, chandrashekhar, charlie chaplin, charlton heston, downey jr, elvis presley, indian actres, indian actress, john downey, namak halaal, pallavi joshi, parveen babi, reunion concert, shaan, simone signoret, tezaab