This day in history: 3rd April 2009April 3rd, 2009 - 5:15 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
1924 – Doris Mary Anne von Kappelhoff (born April 3, 1922) is an American singer, actress, and animal welfare advocate known as Doris Day. Able to sing, dance, and play comedy and dramatic roles, she became one of the biggest box-office stars.
1924 – Marlon Brando, Jr. (April 3, 1924 – July 1, 2004) was an Academy Award-winning American actor whose body of work spanned over half a century. He is widely considered one of the greatest actors of all time, and was named the fourth Greatest Male Star of All Time by the American Film Institute.
1928/29 - Academy Awards - Actor: WARNER BAXTER in “In Old Arizona”, Actress: MARY PICKFORD in “Coquette”, Director:FRANK LLOYD for “The Divine Lady”
1962 – Edward Regan “Eddie” Murphy (born April 3, 1961) is an American actor, film director, producer, comedian and singer. Eddie Murphy is one of the highest grossing actors in motion picture history. In 2007, he won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor for Dreamgirls, and a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for the same role.
1962 - Jaya Prada (born April 3) is an Indian film actress and politician. Jaya Pradha was born in a middle-class home in Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh, India. Her father was a Telugu film financier. Her mother enrolled her in dance and music classes at an early age.
1964 - Parvati Khan (born April 3) is a pop singer who sang the song “Jimmy Jimmy Aaja” in the Bollywood movie Disco Dancer, which won a Gold Disc award.
1973 - Prabhu Deva (born April 3) is an Indian dancer, choreographer, actor and film director. He has been called “India’s Michael Jackson” for his fast-paced dance movements, though he has given performances in a wide range of dancing styles.
1978 - 50th Academy Awards - “Annie Hall,” Rich Dreyfuss & Diane Keaton win
1978 - Larry King moves his radio show from Miami to Washington DC
1995 – Comedian Howard Stern gets in trouble for disparaging remarks about Selena.
2001 – Actress Jane Seymour received the 2001 Humanitarian Award from the American Red Cross for her starring role on TV’s Dr.Quinn, Medicine Woman and for her commitment to philanthropic causes.
2007– A wax figure of Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan was unveiled at London’s Madame Tussauds. The likeness of Khan, widely known as ‘King Khan’, became the third official figure of a Bollywood celebrity to grace the attraction.
2008 - The annual advertising festival Goafest 2008 held in Goa by the Advertising Agencies Association of India (AAAI) will kick off on April 3. -Sampurn Media
- Eddie Murphy to host Oscars? - Sep 05, 2011
- Eddie Murphy honored with the 'Comedy Icon' award - Mar 22, 2011
- David Letterman gets highest honour at US comedy awards - Mar 28, 2011
- Ranbir, Vidya win top IIFA honours - Jun 10, 2012
- Tabu in Kuala Lumpur to support 'The Saroj Khan Dance Academy' - Aug 09, 2010
- Bollywood choreographer to start dance school in Malaysia - Aug 09, 2010
- Actor Eddie Murphy to host the 2012 Oscars - Sep 07, 2011
- Ranbir, Vidya named best actors at Apsara Awards - Jan 26, 2012
- Ben Stiller to get the BAFTA for comedy - Aug 24, 2011
- Billy Crystal replaces Eddie Murphy as Oscar host - Nov 11, 2011
- SRK, Anushka win best actors at IIFA - Jun 26, 2011
- I'm bowled over by power of Bollywood: Cuba Gooding Jr - Jun 26, 2011
- Eddie Murphy to host 84th Oscar ceremony - Sep 07, 2011
- Toronto to see largest galaxy of Bollywood stars - Jun 16, 2011
- Madhuri wants Gene Kelly's tap dancing shoes (Movie Snippets) - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: actors in motion, american film institute, andhra pradesh india, animal welfare advocate, annie hall, dance movements, disco dancer, divine lady, dramatic roles, film actress, highest grossing actors, howard stern, indian dancer, jaya pradha, male star, marlon brando, mary pickford, motion picture history, prabhu deva, warner baxter