This day in history 29 May 2009May 29th, 2009 - 1:31 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
This day in history 29 May 2009
1961 - Mansoor Khan (born May 29), son of film maker Nasir Hussain, made his directorial debut with Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988) which launched the career of his cousin Aamir Khan. The film, a soft Romeo-Juliet inspired romantic drama, was a huge success. Coming towards the end of a decade dominated by action-oriented films, Mansoor Khan’s directorial debut paved the way back for the musical romantic genre in Bollywood.
1972 - Prithviraj Kapoor (3 November 1906 - 29 May 1972) was a noted pioneer of Indian theatre and of the Hindi film industry, who started his career as an actor, in silent era of Hindi cinema. He was also the patriarch of the Kapoor family of Hindi films, five generations of which family, beginning with him, have played active roles in Bollywood.
1976 - Pankaj Kapur (born 29 May) is an Indian theatre, television and film actor from Ludhiana, Punjab, India. He has appeared in several television serials and films. His most acclaimed film roles till date have been that of Dr. Dipankar Roy in Ek Doctor Ki Maut (1991) and ‘Abba ji’ in Vishal Bhardwaj’s Maqbool (2003), both of which got him National Film Awards.
1979 - Shweta Gulati (born 29 May 1979) is an Indian Actress, who did the role of Tia Ahuja in the popular teen show Remix on Star One. Shweta has essayed a variety of contrasting roles, from a girl who lost her parents and was ill-treated by her aunts in Kyun Hota Hai Pyarrr to Remix (STAR One) and also her latest role of Sonia in Amber Dhara on SET Asia.
- Yaadon Ki Baaraat Likely To Be Remade With Big B, Aamir, Imran And Ranbir - Sep 16, 2010
- Shammi Kapoor, ever the loveable Bollywood 'junglee' (Obituary) - Aug 14, 2011
- Pankaj, Shabana team up again after 20 years - Feb 06, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna most romantic Bollywood hero: Imran Khan (Film Snippets) - Jun 23, 2010
- Cinema no more wholesome family entertainer: Imran Khan (Interview) - Jun 30, 2011
- Kishoreda's songs evergreen, 'Jhumroo' will work: Shweta - Mar 31, 2012
- Gaurav Gera, Shweta Gulati in Bollywood musical 'Jhumroo' - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Dhobi Ghat' makes it official - Aamir Khan is different! - Jan 22, 2011
- Kareena, Imran pairing USP of 'Ek Main...': Karan - Dec 15, 2011
- When Farah danced to Geeta's tune - Jul 15, 2012
- Sameera is the hero of 'Tezz': Ajay Devgn (With Images) - Apr 15, 2012
- I thought Bollywood was saturated: Singer Monica Dogra - Jan 19, 2011
- I'm writing film script, sitcom for American TV: Udita - Feb 13, 2012
- Court declines to stay release of 'Chalo Dilli' - Apr 27, 2011
- (VM) I just got lucky, says SRK on 20 years in B-Town - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, amber dhara, dipankar, directorial debut, film roles, five generations, hindi film industry, hindi films, indian actress, kapoor family, ludhiana punjab india, maqbool, national film awards, pankaj kapur, prithviraj kapoor, qayamat se qayamat tak, romeo juliet, shweta, television serials, vishal bhardwaj