This day in history 19 May 2009May 19th, 2009 - 12:31 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
This day in history 19 May 2009
1938 - Girish Raghunath Karnad (born 19 May 1938) is a contemporary writer, playwright, actor and movie director in Kannada language. He is the latest of seven recipients of Jnanpith Award for Kannada, the highest literary honor conferred in India.
1949 - Farida Tabrez Barmavar née Jalal (born May 19, 1949) is an Indan actress. Farida Jalal started her career in the sixties, when she won the United Film Producers Talent Hunt sponsored by Filmfare: she usually played the sister or rejected fiancée of the male lead but almost never the female lead.
1954 - The Govt. of India constituted a National Film Board.
1956 - The Indian govt. bans six U.S. and two British films for presenting a ‘disparaging’ impression of life in Africa, including ‘African Queen’ and ‘Mogambo’ at New Delhi.
1965 - Kishan Kumar (born 19 May) is a Indian film actor and brother of Gulshan Kumar.He did not have much successin Bollywood. He is married to Tanya and has a daughter named Tishaa. He was placed in judicial custody in 2000 for alleged FERA (Foreign Exchange Regulation Act) violations in the match-fixing scandal. Kishan Kumar has acted in Hindi movies “Aaja Meri Jaan,” “Kasam Teri Kasam,” and “Bewafa Sanam.”
1970 - Ashiesh Roy (born 19 May) is an actor. An oft-seen face on the small screen who will be making his debut in films with Shyam Benegal’s Netaji.
1980 - Parizad Kolha, Indian TV actress/ Host. She’s the girl who lights up the screen with her million- watt smile. Currently is on Zoom (Filmi Fever), and STAR One.
- Farida Jalal returns to small screen as 'Ammaji' (With Images) - May 18, 2011
- A.K.Hangal: Once an actor, always an actor (Obituary) - Aug 26, 2012
- Rakshanda Makes A Comeback To TV With 'Ammaji Ki Galli’ - Oct 14, 2010
- 'Balika Vadhu' puts forth reality well: Farida Jalal - May 12, 2012
- Movie Review - Krantiveer The Revolution(2010) - Jun 25, 2010
- IPTA to pay tribute to A.K.Hangal - Aug 26, 2012
- 'Yeh Jo Mohabbat hai' a modern love story: Ashim Samanta - Jun 21, 2012
- 'Office Office' takes a leap, goes to big screen - Jun 24, 2011
- Smart scripts missing in TV shows: Farida Jalal (With Image) - Jun 14, 2011
- Hire and fire! - May 24, 2010
- K3G my biggest celluloid dream possible: Karan Johar - Dec 14, 2011
- Jatin Kumar signs Ravi Kishan for next (Bhojpuri Movie Snippets) - May 31, 2011
- 13 songs to dedicate this Mother's Day - May 05, 2011
- Wasn't considering Kangana for 'Kites': Anurag Basu (Film Snippets) - May 13, 2010
- Southern stars twinkle in Bollywood (Feature) - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: african queen, bewafa sanam, british films, exchange regulation, farida jalal, film producers, govt of india, indian govt, indian tv, judicial custody, life in africa, mogambo, national film board, regulation act, shyam benegal, tabrez, talent hunt, teri kasam, tv actress, watt smile