This day in history 17 May 2009May 16th, 2009 - 11:17 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
This day in history 17 May 2009
1912 - Narayan Govind Chitre, with the help of R. P. Tipnis and Cameraman Johnson, produced a 8000 ft. long theatrical film ‘Pundalik’, which was directed by Ramchandra Torney alias Dada Saheb Torne. The entire film was shot in a theatre at Mangaldas Wadi in Bombay, where the Sangit Mandali, a professional theatre group, was performing a play ‘Pundalik’. The film was released on May, 17 in the Coronation Cinematograph at Girgaum, Bombay.
1948 - Chitra Singh (born May 17) is a renowned Indian Urdu/Hindi ghazals singer. She is married to Jagjit Singh, who is also a prominent ghazal singer. They form a highly popular duet team and are considered pioneers in modern ghazal singing. Chitra Dutta was born in a Bengali family. She had no formal musical training, but had strong roots of music in her family. She learned much of her music by listening to her mother’s music teacher.
1951 – Pankaj Udhas was born on 17 May 1951 in Jetpur in the Gujarat State of India, and is the youngest of three brothers. Pankaj Udhas is a pre-eminent Ghazal singer from India. He is credited with bringing this unique singing style where Urdu verses of poets are set to music to the mass audience across the country.
1952 - Shyam Ramsay (b. 17 May 1952, Bombay) is an Indian film director.Films directed - Ajooba Kudrat Ka (1991) Bandh Darwaza (1990) Purani Haveli (1989)
1954 - Preeti Ganguly (born 17 May) is an Indian actress who played several comic roles in Hindi movies in the 1970s and 1980s. She is the daughter of veteran Indian actor, Ashok Kumar. She is best known for her comic role as Freni Sethna, the die-hard Amitabh Bachchan fan in Khatta Meetha.
1980 - Ritu Chaudhary (born 17 May) TV Actress. She portrayed the character, Shobha on the serial kyunki saas bhi kabhi bahu thi.
1983 - Harshad Prakash Chopra (or Harshad Prakash Chopda) is an Indian actor. He was born on 17 May 1983 (25). His height is 5′10.5″. The latest show he has done is the STAR Plus show Kis Desh Mein Hai Meraa Dil. -Sampurn Media
- Music world mourns death of Jagjit Singh - Oct 10, 2011
- Ghazal loses its soulful king in Jagjit Singh (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2011
- Ritu Beri, Pankaj Udhas to take part in Spirit of India in Oman event in Muscat - Jan 17, 2011
- Jagjit Singh passes away - Oct 10, 2011
- Pankaj Udhas launches his album Shaayar - Aug 11, 2010
- Jagjit Singh brought soul to film songs, says Bollywood - Oct 10, 2011
- Pankaj Udhas, Abhay Goyle to perform live on X-mas - Dec 19, 2011
- Jagjit Singh's death mourned by political class - Oct 10, 2011
- Kashmiri artists and ghazal lovers mourn Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Singer Chitra set to celebrate three decades in music industry - Jan 28, 2011
- Jhuki jhuki si nazar, in remembrance of Jagjit Singh (Obituary) - Oct 10, 2011
- Mehdi Hassan: end of golden era of ghazal (Obituary) - Jun 13, 2012
- Pankaj Udhas to stage concert for Sino-Indian relations - Dec 09, 2011
- Great sense of loss in Bhopal over Jagjit's demise - Oct 10, 2011
- Indian music is popular in South Africa: Envoy - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: ashok kumar, chitra singh, chitre, cinematograph, dada saheb, duet team, ghazal singer, gujarat state, harshad, indian actor, indian actress, indian film director, jagjit singh, kudrat, kyunki saas bhi kabhi, kyunki saas bhi kabhi bahu thi, professional theatre group, sangit, theatrical film, tv actress