This day in history 1 MayApril 30th, 2009 - 8:11 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
This day in history 1 May
1916 – Glen Ford 1916 - Actor (”Gilda”, “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father”)
1919 - Prabodh Chandra Dey (born May 1, 1919), better known by his nickname Manna Dey is one of the greatest playback singers of all time in Hindi films and other vernacular Indian films, especially Bengali.
1945 - Bianca Jagger (born May 1) 1945 - Model, human rights activist, was married to Mick Jagger
1958 – Ratan Irani (born May 1) is a bollywood Producer Nafrat Ki Aandhi 1989, Mera Dharam and Anokha Bandan.
1960 - Shivaji Satham (born May 1) is a Bollywood actor who has worked in various films like- Zamaanat, Taxi No. 9 2 11, Viruddh… Family Comes First, Kisna: The Warrior Poet , etc.
1967 - Tim McGraw – Musician; Born-1967
1970 - The “Woodstock” movie premiered in Hollywood.
1972 - Les Harvey (Stone the Crow) was electrocuted on stage in Swansea, Wales. He died several hours later at the age of 25.
1975 - David Beckham (born May 1) 1975 - Soccer player
1977 - Elvis Presley was admitted to a Memphis hospital due to fatigue and intestinal flu. He stayed in the hospital for six days.
1977 - Eric Clapton recorded “Wonderful Tonight.”
1980 - The South African government banned the Pink Floyd song “Another Brick in the Wall (PartII).”
1984 - Marvin Gaye, at the age of 44, was killed by his father . Gaye’s father received probation after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter.
1992 - Billy Idol pled no contest to punching a woman in the face. He was fined and told to make public service announcements against alcohol and drug use.
1996 – Ban imposed (through a Delhi high court judgment) on the film ‘Bandit Queen’, based on the life of Phoolan Devi, lifted by Supreme Court.
1998 - Hide (X Japan) died in an apparent suicide at the age of 33. -Sampurn Media
- Bollywood's first superstar, Rajesh Khanna's filmography - Jul 18, 2012
- N.K.P. Salve, ex-minister and former BCCI chief, dead (Second Lead) - Apr 01, 2012
- Veteran Publicist Regina Gruss Passes Away - Aug 06, 2010
- Eminent singer Manna Dey to get Dada Saheb Phalke award - Sep 30, 2009
- An India-educated democracy beacon in Myanmar - May 29, 2012
- Pataudi the man that was - Fact file - Sep 22, 2011
- Tiger played with straight bat on and off the field (Obituary) - Sep 22, 2011
- 25 films that will be immortalised by US National Film Registry this year - Dec 29, 2010
- MPs pay tribute to Neelam Sanjiva Reddy - May 19, 2012
- On Indian cinema's centenary, wax statue to honour Phalke (With Images) - Feb 17, 2012
- Chinese painting sold for over $23 mn - Nov 21, 2011
- Ashok Mehta critically ill, hospitalised - Mar 01, 2012
- TV series to explore life of Iran's last shah - May 14, 2011
- Menopause not linked to heart attack - Sep 06, 2011
- B-town mourns loss of Rajesh Khanna, the 'phenomenon' - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: aandhi, anokha, bandit queen, brick in the wall, film bandit, glen ford, harvey stone, hide x japan, human rights activist, intestinal flu, marvin gaye, mick jagger, pink floyd song, playback singers, public service announcements, south african government, stone the crow, swansea wales, voluntary manslaughter, warrior poet