‘The Simpsons’ aired their 500th EpisodeFebruary 20th, 2012 - 8:17 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Feb 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The highly successful animated series The Simpsons reached a milestone on Sunday when the 500th episode was aired on FOX. The show has thus become the longest-running scripted television programme in the United States.
The iconic episode was titled At Long Last Leave and featured a guest appearance of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. Producers say they recorded the lines of assange from his base in the United Kingdom. The former hacker is currently in the country where he is fighting extradition to Sweden where he is wanted for multiple sex offences. Assange has maintained that the charges are politically motivated masterminded by the United States because of his firm’s decision to publish some diplomatic cables on the Internet.
The Simpsons were moved to an exiled location where they met Assange. He welcomed the family to “The Outlands” where they became neighbors.
Show creator Matt Groening says the show still has several stories to come up with. The Simpsons have run for 23 seasons and it is estimated that after the 25th season, the episode count will reach 559.
Matt told The Los Angeles Times that, “We have a character we call Squeaky-Voiced Teen. I’d like to know a little bit more about that guy.”
- Duff beer goes on sale in the UK - Feb 23, 2012
- WikiLeaks' Assange to guest star on 'The Simpsons' - Jan 31, 2012
- Julian Assange is set to fight his extradition to Sweden - Jan 11, 2011
- Assange gets asylum in Ecuador (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 16, 2012
- Discovery to air special show on WikiLeaks - Apr 18, 2011
- Assange challenges extradition - Jul 12, 2011
- Pitt, Jolie invited to Assange's 40th birthday party - Jul 11, 2011
- Julian Assange appears in court - Jul 13, 2011
- Assange-hosted TV show to debut in Russia - Apr 13, 2012
- 'Assange bringing WikiLeaks down' - Dec 23, 2010
- US targets Twitter to trap Assange over 'secret diplomatic cables' revelations - Feb 15, 2011
- Julian Assange's mom in Ecuador to seek son's asylum - Jul 29, 2012
- Assange claims he has got secret files on Murdoch - Jan 13, 2011
- WikiLeaks hackers threaten UK government - Dec 10, 2010
- Former Spanish judge to defend Assange - Jul 25, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,