‘The Red Shoes’ restored for new-gen of cinemagoersJune 14th, 2009 - 12:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 14 (ANI): Classic film The Red Shoes has been restored using the latestcinematic technology.
The Oscar-winning British movie’s original print was badly damaged.
However, the Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger-directed film has now been returned to its former glory for a new generation of cinemagoers to enjoy, reports The Daily Express.
The Red Shoes, which made an overnight star of 22-year-old Scots-born ballerina Moira Shearer, was called The Motion Picture Event Of The Year in 1948.
The film tells the tale of a talented dancer scorned by an authoritarian ballet impresario when she falls in love with a composer.
UCLA Film & Television Archive and The Film Foundation have been working on the restoration project for three years.
Martin Crosse, the US film director and chairman of The Film Foundation, said: “It would have been a tragedy if The Red Shoes had been lost for ever or even forgotten - it is a true gem of a movie. And one of our great classics which was loved throughout the world.
“It expresses so much about the burning need for art, and I identified with that feeling the first time I saw the picture with my father. I was so young then. It put me in contact with something in myself, a driving emotion I saw in the characters up there on the screen and in the colour, the rhythm, the sense of beauty.”
Robert Gitt, of UCLA Film & Television Archive, explained that the film was badly damaged.
“The restoration combined the best of the past with our digital present,” he said.
The Red Shoes in its restored version will be in cinemas in December. (ANI)
- Customs release restored print of Uday Shankar's 'Kalpana' (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Uday Shankar's widow to attend Cannes for 'Kalpana' - May 12, 2012
- Uday Shankar's classic 'Kalpana' heads to Cannes - Apr 27, 2012
- 3,000 films to be digitised under film heritage mission: Soni - Sep 16, 2011
- Hollywood to help restore Cuban classic films - Dec 09, 2011
- Reliance Mediaworks' Restoration Of 1984's Khandahar premieres in Cannes Classic 2010 Cannes - May 15, 2010
- Reliance MediaWorks ties up with Russian firm for film restoration - Dec 23, 2010
- Brigitte Nielsen had sex with Arnie, Sly, and Sean Penn! - Apr 22, 2011
- Kareena not 'getting into anyone's shoes' for 'Heroine' - Jul 26, 2012
- Mrinal Sen's 'Khandahar' makes second appearance at Cannes - May 14, 2010
- Long-lost collection of US silent movies found in New Zealand - Jun 08, 2010
- Black shoes sell less in India: Christian Louboutin - Mar 24, 2012
- Lost Beatles video found after 48 years - Apr 26, 2012
- Jazz up your shoe rack with neon yellow, green (With Images) - Apr 02, 2010
- 'Dolce Vita' diva Ekberg appeals for help - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: ballerina moira, cinematic technology, classic film, daily express, emeric, film director, former glory, gitt, impresario, michael powell, moira shearer, motion picture, new generation, red shoes, restoration project, scots, talented dancer, television archive, true gem, ucla film