The Ratings Of ‘The Tonight Show’ Have Been Far From Impressive This SummerSeptember 7th, 2010 - 8:04 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
September 7, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): The Tonight Show with Jay Leno happens to be an American late-night chat program that is hosted by Jay Leno and is telecast on NBC. This program was originally telecast from May 25 in 1992 to May 29 in 2009. The program recommenced production on March 1, 2010. Leno’s manifestation of The Tonight Show adhered to the same fundamental plan as that of his forerunner. The plan or format was an introductory monologue that would be succeeded by humorous routines, tête-à-têtes and renditions. Leno was nothing like Jack Paar or Johnny Carson from an angle, however, which is that Leno employed a guest host only on a solitary occasion. Leno favored to host the series by himself.
On the issue of viewership, it has to be stated that NBC might have the American summer’s highly viewed program in ‘America’s Got Talent.’ Nevertheless, the late at night ratings of the network aren’t so bright and laudable.
’The Tonight Show With Jay Leno’ is magnetizing a tinier number of eyeballs from the demographic community of adults (18 years- 49 years) than Conan O’Brien managed when he hosted the program in the previous year. This demographic group is the prime target of hungry advertisers. If truth be told, this summer has, on record, bequeathed the paltriest ratings for ‘Tonight’. This is notwithstanding the fact that such exploits have become increasingly widespread in broadcast across the board.
Ever since the conclusion of the broadcast season, Leno is averaging 3.8 million watchers and there has been a 1.0 adults (18-49) rating. These statistics illustrate a 12% enhancement in total audience in relation to O’Brien, though off 23% in the demo and behind in both dimensions compared with Leno’s presentation in 2008. His percentages significantly improve if contrasts commence a few weeks deeper into the summer. Therefore, ‘Tonight’ is not encountering O’Brien’s initial weeks hosting the program. Nevertheless, O’Brien is at the top in the demo either way.
Even with the diminished rating, Leno is back to defeating his chief competitor, ‘Late Show With David Letterman’, of CBS by a strong 22% in both metrics. CBS has peddled that Letterman’s ratings are at least exhibiting stability compared with the previous summer. That is when Letterman reached an unprecedented low of his own. Other late at night hosts have been demonstrating constancy too. ‘Late Night With Jimmy Fallon’ (NBC), ‘The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson’ (CBS) and ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ (ABC) have sustained their demo averages. Fallon and Kimmel have even obtained an increase in total watchers.
As America voyages into the fall, NBC’s associates have divulged that they are content about the calendar on the whole and late-night specifically. In 2009, the stations wrestled with the likely diminishment in ratings on account of placing Leno at 10 p.m. and the indecision over O’Brien hosting ‘Tonight.’
Station supervisors are hoping to possess scripted dramas again in late primetime. This, in turn, should stimulate the thrust of the audience into late-night. NBC expects that the advertisers will have an array of awesome stories from the factory of NBC this fall. NBC has accumulated dramas like the high-concept series, ‘The Event’, and programs from top-shelf producers such as Dick Wolf (‘Law & Order: Los Angeles’). NBC also has in store Jerry Bruckheimer’s ‘Chase’ and ‘Undercovers’ of J.J. Abrams.
Eric Lassberg happens to be the president and GM of KXAN-TV Austin, which is an associate of NBC. He has declared that there are several NBC stations that have endured considerable diminishments in late prime.
Nevertheless, Lassberg has mentioned that the fresh programs on NBC will ensure a reversal in the fortune of NBC. He has uttered that all the proofs indicate that the ratings of NBC will mount (at 10 p.m.).
- Leno's 'Tonight Show' Ratings Below Conan's: Worst Summer Ever - Sep 07, 2010
- The Tonight Show's ratings drop despite having Jay Leno on board - Sep 07, 2010
- Kimmel takes potshots at Jay Leno on the Letterman show - Mar 18, 2010
- Conan O'Brien Criticizes Jay Leno Over 'The Tonight Show' Mess - May 03, 2010
- Talk show host Conan O'Brien gets 45 million dollar payout - Jan 22, 2010
- Jay Leno show to get shuffled or even cancelled? - Jan 09, 2010
- Conan O'Brien To Appear In An Interview On '60Minutes' - Apr 29, 2010
- Kimmel admits to sucker-punching Leno - Mar 18, 2010
- Jay Leno's Tonight Show's Ratings Plummets To Record Low - Sep 07, 2010
- Will Jerry Seinfeld take over hosting duties from Conan O'Brien for 'The Tonight Show'? - Dec 21, 2009
- "Tonight Show" with Conan O'Brien - Jun 02, 2009
- Jimmy Fallon Has Been Declared To Be The Host Of The Emmys This Year - May 05, 2010
- TBS Supports Conan O'Brien In The Emmy's Campaign - Jun 09, 2010
- Jerry Seinfeld being tipped to replace Conan O'Brien on 'The Tonight Show' - Dec 20, 2009
- Will Conan O'Brien go to Fox? - Jan 12, 2010
Tags: america s got talent, broadcast season, chat program, conan o brien, demographic community, demographic group, forerunner, fundamental plan, guest host, initial weeks, jack paar, jay leno, johnny carson, men at work, monologue, pen men, prime target, renditions, tonight show with jay leno, viewership