The pensioner who hasn”t had a trim in 50 years!August 10th, 2008 - 1:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 9 (ANI): Jean Burgess has not had a haircut in more than fifty years, and now her hair stand almost as tall as her at - five and a half feet.
The reason behind pensioner” s reluctance to cut her hair came up after she viewed a picture of herself after her last haircut, where she was photographed beside the Lily of the Valley her father was helping to grow especially for the Queen’’s wedding bouquet.
Burgess hated the picture so much that she vowed that she would never cut her hair again, and she has stuck to her word despite having to spend two-and-a-half hours to combing her hair, 45 minutes to wash it and 24 hours for it to drip dry.
“I hated those pictures of me when I was 15 so much,” Daily Telegraph quoted her as saying.
“I had to have my hair short for school and I felt like a boy.
“My father was a gardener and worked in the Royal nursery so having my picture taken with the flowers being grown especially for the Queen’’s bouquet was an incredible opportunity and an honour - I just loathed my hair in the pictures so much I didn”t want to show anybody.
“That’’s why, from then on I vowed to grow it.
“When I got married at 20 years old it was passed my shoulders and by 30 it was hitting the floor.
“With five children it was a pain and I remember grabbing my pony tail in one hand and a pair of scissors in the other and going to chop it all off once, but I saw how long it was and couldn”t bring myself to do it.
“Since then I”ve worn it in a tight bun so not many people knew quite how long it was and I only take it down twice a year to give it a wash with baby shampoo. It’’s the best product for stopping it getting tangled which is great as it takes between two and three hours to comb as it is!
“I have to do it with my fingers as brushes just get caught up in it and then I lay it out across the garden on a sunny day and wait for it to dry.
“People think washing it every six months means it’’s dirty but it’’s in great condition as your hair is designed to clean itself with natural oils. These people who wash theirs everyday are destroying it,” she said.
But despite earning the Best Hair In Britain award in 1986 and even an appearance on Blue Peter, the future of her treasured locks remains in doubt.
Jean Burgess decided to let her hair down to celebrate her 70th birthday, all five and a half feet of it.
“It’’s thinned over the years and I had made myself a secret pledge that I would have it all cut off for my 70th,” she revealed.
“But now my 70th is here I”m just not sure I”ll be able to go through with it. My grandchildren would never forgive me - after all it’’s my party piece,” she added. (ANI)
- 'The Rachel' was the ugliest haircut I've ever seen, says Jennifer Aniston - Jan 19, 2011
- Cyrus shocks fans with short hair - Aug 14, 2012
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Sports Another New Hairdo - Apr 16, 2010
- Aniston found Rachel haircut ugly! - Jan 19, 2011
- Why women cut their hair after a break-up - Apr 24, 2011
- Ritchie, best hairstylist on planet? - Aug 08, 2012
- Stewart bullied for hairy legs - Jun 26, 2012
- Hair-washing gadget wins time saver contest - Apr 11, 2011
- Weisz's make-up woes - Apr 12, 2011
- Gaga using anti-baldness drug - Jul 25, 2011
- Emma Watson's 'pixie' cut inspired by Mia Farrow's short hairdo - Nov 19, 2010
- Cyrus hiding her new short hair? - Aug 15, 2012
- Maria Sharapova's new haircut sparks internet frenzy - Apr 18, 2012
- The heat is on! Dos and don'ts for hair care - Jun 01, 2012
- Jennifer Love Hewitt showcases another new hairdo - Apr 16, 2010
Tags: baby shampoo, brushes, comb, drip, gardener, haircut, honour, jean burgess, lily of the valley, more than fifty years, pair of scissors, pensioner, pony tail, reluctance, royal nursery, shoulders, sunny day, tight bun, two and a half hours, wedding bouquet