The Lovely Bones: The Movie BombsJanuary 17th, 2010 - 7:25 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Jan 17, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Directed by Peter Jackson, ‘The Lovely Bones’ was released internationally on January 15th and its reviews have been declared, with most people wanting to give it a miss. Based on the book by Alice Sebold, of the same name, the movie did not manage to rope in as much compliments as its counterpart did.
The story of the movie revolves around a young girl that gets murdered and watches her family go by their lives from up in the heavens. She keeps tabs on the man who killed her too. Trying to weigh down they want to take revenge and vengeance on behalf of her family, the character is strong and hard-willed.The reviews are mostly negative with very few people having good words to spare for the film. The biggest critics across the world had almost the same views saying things like “an expensive-looking mess” and “its a simpler, more button-pushing tale that misses the joy and heartbreak of the original”.
Even after receiving bad reviews, the movie is not totally abandoned with awards or nominations. In the movie’s kitty lies six nominations for Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards out of which three belong to Stanley Tucci and Saoirse Ronan. The movie’s visual effects and cinematography are worth all the hoopla even though the movie as a whole misses the bestselling novel’s emotional ride. The other cast members include Mark Wahlberg, Susan Sarandon, Nikki SooHoo, Carolyn Dando, Rose McIver and Michael Imperioli.
Looks like the crew’s strategy of making this movie available in the ‘award season’ did not work as neither did the partial releases do anything for its success. The $85 million in marketing and $70 million in production could have been better spent.
- Irish Actress Saoirse Ronan Enters 'The Hobbit' Cast - Jan 29, 2011
- British Royalty Chats With Director At Premiere Of "The Lovely Bones" - Nov 25, 2009
- Mark Wahlberg not bitter about missing out on best actor Oscar nod - Jan 27, 2011
- Mark Wahlberg confirms that 'Fighter 2' is in the pipeline - Jun 10, 2011
- Saoirse Ronan to star as 'Hanna Heller' in a new action thriller - Apr 12, 2011
- Golden Globe Nominations For 2011 Unveiled - Dec 15, 2010
- Peter Jackson to make movie on bestseller 'The Lovely Bones' - Aug 06, 2009
- Golden Globes Nominations - Jan 16, 2011
- Indians won't like to see me sing and dance: Colin Farrell - Dec 16, 2010
- Alexis Bledel Bags A Killer Role - Sep 24, 2010
- Stanley Tucci is now planning a wedding with Felicity Blunt - Aug 09, 2012
- Wahlberg replaces Gosling in 'The Lovely Bones' - Nov 14, 2007
- Kanye West tops 54th Grammy nominations with seven - Dec 01, 2011
- Avatar, An Education, The Hurt Locker bag top Bafta nominations - Jan 21, 2010
- Which Film Will Get The Big Honour At The Oscar Evening? - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: alice sebold, all the hoopla, bestselling novel, broadcast film critics, broadcast film critics association, broadcast film critics association awards, carolyn dando, cast members, cinematography, heartbreak, lovely bones, mark wahlberg, mciver, michael imperioli, nikki soohoo, peter jackson, saoirse ronan, saying things, stanley tucci, susan sarandon