“The Lion King” Star Shannon Tavarez Loses Battle With LeukemiaNovember 3rd, 2010 - 6:57 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Nov 3, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Shannon Tavarez, the 11 year old actress who starred on Broadway in “The Lion King” breathed her last at Cohen Children’s Medical Center in New Hyde Park on Long Island. Katharina Harf, the co-founder of bone marrow donor center announced the news to the media. Adriana Douzos, the spokesperson of the Tony award-winning show “The Lion King” also confirmed the news to the media she declined to comment any further about the unfortunate demise.
Shannon Tavarez had been battling with leukemia and she went under knife last August to receive an umbilical cord blood transplant. Doctors have reported that this was done as an alternative to bone marrow transplant. Shannon Tavarez’s doctor, Dr. Larry Wolfe said with much sadness that they could not find a perfect bone marrow match for Shannon Tavarez. Katharina Harf expressed her condolence at the demise of 11 year old rising star and said that it is rare that one meets a such a spirited girl at such a young age. She said that Shannon Tavarez touched many hearts with her sweet gestures and she was a “special” girl.
New York Blood Center also released a statement where it was stated that Shannon Tavarez’s bright smile, her talent and her “courage” to fight against her disease will inspire many people in in their “efforts”. R&B sensations Alicia Keys, Rihanna and even rapper 50 Cent campaigned to find a bone marrow donor for the 11 year old actress. While she was in hospital she told a reputed media source that to be on stage is an “indescribable” feelings as she can be herself when she is performing on stage. Shannon Tavarez had to undergo extensive sessions of chemotherapy after being diagnosed with leukemia and recently she was struggling for her life in an intensive care unit at the hospital.
- 'Lion King' musical star Shannon Tavares dies at age 11 - Nov 03, 2010
- 'The Lion King' star Shannon Tavarez dies - Nov 03, 2010
- Shannon Tavarez, The Young Broadway Entertainer Dies At 11 - Nov 03, 2010
- Rihanna, Alicia Keys seek help for cancer patient Tavarez - Jul 09, 2010
- Child star Tavarez battling cancer - Jun 22, 2010
- Rapper 50 Cent registers as a bone marrow donor - Aug 09, 2010
- Pak businessman is Delhi's first marrow transplant case from unrelated donor - Sep 17, 2012
- Iraqi woman gets new life with bone marrow transplant in India - Sep 23, 2010
- Sahara Hospital to start bone-marrow transplant - Sep 24, 2011
- Salman Khan Pledges Bone Marrow For Marrow Donor Registry (India) - Nov 18, 2010
- Stem cell transplant cheap in India, but very few centres - Jan 01, 2011
- Breast milk can be source for stem cells - Oct 18, 2011
- Innovative liver surgery saves 2-year-old Omani girl - Jul 04, 2012
- Robin Roberts Back at 'Good Morning America' - Aug 21, 2012
- Mother's bone marrow could cure diseases in unborn baby - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: bone marrow donor, bone marrow transplant, bright smile, cord blood transplant, doctor dr, gina gomez, harf, hyde park, intensive care unit, king star, larry wolfe, lion king, marrow donor center, new hyde park, new york blood center, rihanna, special girl, spirited girl, umbilical cord blood, unfortunate demise