‘The Last Exorcism’ Takes Audience On A Scary RideAugust 27th, 2010 - 7:36 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Aug 27, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Critics have given their view on the much anticipated horror flick ‘The Last Exorcism’ and going by their word the film promises to be as hair raising as the expectations. Directed by Daniel Stamm, the film is written by Huck Botko and Andrew Gurland. Taking cue from films such as ‘Paranormal Activities’ and ‘Blair Witch Project’, the movie is shot in the documentary style that makes it appear more real and close to the audience that normal films.
Ashley Bell plays the role of a girl who is possessed by demons. Cleansing her is a priest named Cotton Marcus who himself does not believe in the devil in spite of making a career out of doing exorcism. He is followed by a camera crew when he undertakes his last exorcism and in the course of time, it manages to change his beliefs forever. In spite of the somewhat predictable story, the film manages to keep the audience riveted with its spooky story telling technique. Though the grainy video footage technique might be called cliche, the film manages to pack a few surprises in terms of lighting and performance.
There is little use of special effects and frightening make up in the film that deals with the possession of the devil. Relying heavily on performances and camera work, the scenes are shot in a haphazard and random manner that makes the audience feel as if they are in the middle of the action on screen. Toward the end of the film, the audience realizes that the film is actually about the priest who is forced to see the truth behind his own ’shams’ through Nell Sweetzer.
- 'The Last Exorcism' Reviews Creates Buzz - Aug 27, 2010
- 'The Last Exorcism' Ending Confuses Audience With Claustrophobic Chaos - Aug 28, 2010
- 'The Devil Inside' does not scare much (IANS Movie Review) - Mar 04, 2012
- Ashley Bell Talks About Her Role In "The Last Exorcism" - Aug 26, 2010
- Technique of 'Ragini MMS','Paranormal Activity' same: Ekta Kapoor - Apr 07, 2011
- 'The Rite' - peddling Christianity (IANS Movie Review) - Feb 11, 2011
- 'Paranormal Activity 2' - horror without much gore (IANS Film Review; Rating:***1/2) - Jan 08, 2011
- Paranormal Activity 2 New Trailer Out - Oct 03, 2010
- 'Paranormal Activity 3' manages to scare (IANS Movie Review) - Oct 22, 2011
- Surge in Satanism sparks rise in demand for exorcists: Catholic Church - Mar 31, 2011
- Tusshar, Ekta to clash on box-office Friday (IANS Preview) - May 09, 2011
- With 'Haunted', audiences queue up to get terrorised again - May 17, 2011
- Alt Entertainment To Repeat 'LSD' Success With 'Ragini MMS' - Dec 07, 2010
- Story can fail, innovative technique can never fail: RGV - May 16, 2012
- 'Paranormal Activity 2' Secrets Unearthed! - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: andrew gurland, blair witch project, camera crew, camera work, cliche, documentary style, horror flick, huck botko, kar, last exorcism, meena, news critics, normal films, paranormal activities, predictable story, random manner, shams, special effects, spooky story, video footage