The Jimmy Conway Of GoodfellasJune 20th, 2009 - 8:12 pm ICT by GD
The character of Jimmy Conway has grown to live beyond the film in was a part of. Robert De Niro played the character of the endearing Conway in the movie “Goodfellas“, a movie which had released in 1990. The character of Conway was based on the real life gangster James Burke. The production house changed the name to James ‘Jimmy’ Conway from the initial James Burke, after getting drawn in to a legal battle.
Kathy Burke, the daughter of the real life gangster, had demanded a compensation of $ 100, 000 from the production house for the use of the name of James Burke in the film originally. So the change was made. However, in the official records of James Burke, the name of Burke’s mother is identified as Ms Conway; so the connection between the real and the reel was cleverly maintained in the film.
In the movie, the character of Jimmy Conway had earned the nickname of “Jimmy the gent”. For his portrayal of the character of Burke in the movie, Niro had earned a nomination in the prestigious Bafta and had won the New York Film Critics Award. The real life Burke died of lung cancer at the age of 64 on April 13, 1996 while serving his term.
Some of the memorable quotes from the movie, out of the mouth of Jimmy Conway will live on forever.”I’m not mad, I’m proud of you. you took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut”, “That’s the way. You don’t take no shit from nobody” are dialogues that have made the character of Jimmy Conway stand out from among multitudes of other such gangster films.
- Al Pacino, Robert De Niro reunite for violent gangster movie - Sep 19, 2010
- De Niro, Pacino may team up for 'The Irishman' - Sep 19, 2010
- Sanjay Gupta gets nod for character names in '...Wadala' - Dec 21, 2011
- I can bring more professionalism to Bollywood: Sofia Hayat - Mar 08, 2011
- There's no man without grey shades: Jimmy Shergill - Sep 24, 2011
- 'Gangs Of Wasseypur - Part 2' - more fast-paced, furious violence (IANS Movie Review) - Aug 09, 2012
- Scorsese, De Niro team up after 15 years - Dec 14, 2010
- Robert De Niro receives Honorary Doctorate Degree from Bates College - May 29, 2012
- 'Ferrari..' has its moments of fine sawaari (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Jun 16, 2012
- Ours is a sexually repressed society: Randeep Hooda - Sep 18, 2011
- Lata surprised by Shoaib's remarks on Sachin (Movie Snippets) - Sep 29, 2011
- Karisma disciplined, focused: Jimmy Sheirgill - May 03, 2012
- DiCaprio tried to impress De Niro by being 'menacing' - Dec 06, 2010
- Forrest Gump voted 'greatest film character of all time' - Mar 24, 2011
- 'The King's Speech' wins seven awards at 2011 Baftas - Feb 14, 2011
Tags: bafta, dialogues, gangster films, goodfellas, james burke, jimmy conway, jimmy the gent, kathy burke, lung cancer, memorable quotes, multitudes, new york film, new york film critics, new york film critics award, nickname, nomination, portrayal, quotes from the movie, released in 1990, robert de niro