The Hard Times Of RJ Berger: The Old Mix In A New PackJune 7th, 2010 - 2:37 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
June 7, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Hard Times of RJ Berger is the latest to join the race of Teen comedy series race with a more wacky and raunchy appeal.
MTV which has squeezed out all the music already from its ‘Music Television’ tag is now going into the scripted-program mode that is a direct outcome of the overdose of reality television that the TV audience has had recently. The teen comedy has taken the audience back in to the good old days of American TV which highlighted the male adolescent fantasies, molded it and made it bigger and better.
This teen drama though has all the essential elements of ‘American Pie’ styled movies and reminds us strongly of ‘Malcolm In The Middle’. In spite of its lack of originality, the show promises to be a ‘killer’ especially for the audience that belongs to the age group.
RJ Berger is the typical loser who has family, friends and confidence issues that is typical of most 15-year old geeks. The plot takes a twist when he accidentally exposes himself to the entire school during a basketball game. The exposure is followed by a series of jokes that range from being raunchy to downright lame but finally we find RJ Berger gaining confidence and facing his opponents. Same old popular hot chick who the nerd falls in love with comes in the form of Jenny Swanson.
The ‘Loser’ gradually manages to overcome his tag by fighting against the odds that all teenagers face. Creators David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith will have a lot of work to do to keep the audience glued to an age-old concept. The show aired on Sunday, June 6, on MTV at 10 pm.
It will go into the regular time-slot of 9 pm, Monday onwards.
- Paris Hilton caught kissing Paul Iacono - Jun 08, 2010
- MTV'S Comedy Awards To Air On April 10 - Jan 11, 2011
- "Skins" TV Series Will Premiere On MTV From January - Oct 22, 2010
- 'The Campaign' irreverently funny and political (IANS Movie Review) - Sep 02, 2012
- "Skins" MTV Premiere Gets Mixed Reaction - Jan 18, 2011
- Steamy scene on 'Home and Away' deemed too raunchy for Kiwis - Sep 20, 2010
- Comedy Central now in India - Jan 18, 2012
- Carrie Fisher admits sleeping with 'Star Wars' nerds - Dec 14, 2010
- Jim Carrey Parodies "Black Swan" By Playing Lily On "Saturday Night Live" - Jan 10, 2011
- TV actor Manish Paul turns con man for debut movie - Jul 20, 2012
- Clooney launches fundraiser for troubled entertainers - Feb 24, 2012
- Kristen Stewart Slated To Play A Sexually Charged Role In Her Next Flick - Aug 28, 2010
- MTV insists 'Skins' has not violated any child pornography laws - Jan 24, 2011
- Tracy Morgan calls Sarah Palin 'the hottest MILF in the world' - Jan 31, 2011
- 'Rush' - Bejoy Nambiar's big dream for small screen - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: american pie, american tv, basketball game, comedy series, confidence issues, david katzenberg, entire school, gaining confidence, gina gomez, grahame smith, hot chick, malcolm in the middle, male adolescent, music television, program mode, reality television, teen comedy, teen drama, time slot, tv audience