‘The Golden Girls’ star Beatrice Arthur passes away at 86April 26th, 2009 - 11:30 am ICT by ANI
London, Apr 26 (ANI): Beatrice Arthur, the Tony and Emmy-winning actress best known for her role as Dorothy Zbornak in “The Golden Girls,” has died. She was 86.
The actress had been suffering from cancer and died at her Los Angeles home.
Arthur first appeared in the comedy series “All in the Family” as Edith Bunker’s loudly outspoken, liberal cousin, Maude Finley.
“Maude” scored with television viewers, and Arthur won an Emmy Award for the role in 1977.
“Golden Girls”, which aired from 1985 to 1992, was another groundbreaking comedy and featured Arthur as the outspoken Dorothy Zbornak, in a Florida apartment with three other retired women, including her mother, played by Estelle Getty - who died last July, at 84. The other stars were Rue McClanahan and Betty White.
The show amassed a big audience and 10 Emmys, including two as best comedy series and individual awards for each of the stars, The Telegraph reported.
Arthur was married and divorced twice. Arthur’s first husband, was the screenwriter, director and producer Robert Alan Aurthur whose credits include the Bob Fosse film All That Jazz. (ANI)
- Golden Girls' Rue McClanahan passes away at 76 - Jun 04, 2010
- 'Golden Girl' star Rue McClanahan dies at 76 - Jun 04, 2010
- Rue McClanahan Death Reminds Fans Of Estelle Getty - Jun 04, 2010
- 88 Year Old Betty White Signs Deal For New Sitcom - Mar 17, 2010
- TV show 'Golden Girls' to get a Spanish makeover - Jul 28, 2010
- 'Golden Girls' Actress Rue McClanahan Suffers Stroke - Jan 15, 2010
- Golden Girls' Rue McClanahan suffers a stroke - Jan 15, 2010
- William Windom dies - Aug 20, 2012
- Jewel gives an emotionally charged performance at Emmys - Aug 30, 2010
- Golden Girl Rue McCalanahan dies at age 76 - Jun 04, 2010
- Michael Spiller wins Emmy for directing best comedy series - Sep 19, 2011
- The Golden Girls' Bea Arthur & Betty White were involved in a feud - May 10, 2011
- Sofia Vergara highest paid woman in television - Jul 20, 2012
- 'Bonnie and Clyde' director Arthur Penn dies at 88 - Sep 30, 2010
- Ryan Murphy Bags The Emmy Award For Outstanding Director In A Comedy Series - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: actress, aurthur, beatrice arthur, betty white, bob fosse film, comedy series, cousin, dorothy zbornak, edith bunker, emmy award, emmys, estelle getty, finley, florida apartment, golden girls, maude, producer robert, rue mcclanahan, telegraph, television viewers