The funny story behind a memorable songApril 1st, 2009 - 7:33 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Veteran lyricist Verma Malik passed away few days back on March 15th. He had written a quiet a good number of memorable songs and one of the most famous amongst them has been the Aaj Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai number from Devendra Goel’s Aadmi Sadak Ka which released in the year 1977. This song has been a perennial favourite of all the bands that play during the wedding baaraats even till date.
But not many are aware about the interesting story behind how the song came to be what it is today. It happened so that, Goel had explained the song situation to Verma Malik as an engagement song to be picturised on Shatrughan Sinha. The lyricist, however, misunderstood the situation and, a few days later, narrated the lyrics, Aaj mere yaar ki shaadi hai, to the filmmaker. When Devendra Goel again explained to the song writer that it was meant to be an engagement song rather than a wedding song, Malik tried to change the words of the song to Aaj mere yaar ki mangni hai, but Devendra Goel was not satisfied and found the word mangni lacking in force.
Then, what did he do? So enamoured was Goel of the original lyrics that he decided to change the situation in the film from an engagement to a wedding. As they say, history is sometimes created on misunderstandings.
- Actors are like little children: Sanjay Gadhvi - Sep 13, 2012
- Item number in 'Joker' raises activist's heckles - Aug 23, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna's evergreen songs - Jul 18, 2012
- Double entendre, wacky songs score in Bollywood - Jul 06, 2012
- Will Saif's item number overshadow Kareena's 'mujra' - Mar 17, 2012
- Uday Chopra to quit acting after 'Dhoom 3' - Jun 28, 2011
- Noted Bollywood Lyricist Verma Malik Passes away peacefully - Mar 18, 2009
- Prasoon Joshi's 'Uff' tribute to Shammi Kapoor - May 27, 2012
- Lyricists on song: Bollywood's unsung wordsmiths (First of a series by IANS on Bollywood's behind-the-scenes people) - Mar 23, 2011
- Gulzar explains difference between poems and lyrics - Jan 29, 2011
- Big B abuses in 'Bbuddah...', but in amusing way! - Jun 21, 2011
- Preview of Hostel: Raises Ragging Issue In Educational Institutions - Dec 30, 2010
- Uday Chopra calls big brother 'Voldemort' - Dec 28, 2011
- 'Mere Brother Ki Dulhan's music interplay of folk and fun (IANS Music Review) - Aug 12, 2011
- Big B dances to 'Kammo' in RGV's 'Department' - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: devendra, engagement song, few days, filmmaker, funny story, goel, interesting story, ka, lyricist, lyrics, memorable song, memorable songs, mere yaar ki shaadi hai, misunderstandings, sadak, shatrughan, shatrughan sinha, song writer, veteran, wedding song