‘The Dirty Picture’ in Kannada: Ekta Kapoor opposes titleMay 6th, 2012 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Banaglore, May 6 (IANS) Director Trishul of “Baba” fame has titled his next Kannada film “The Dirty Picture”, but filmmaker Ekta Kapoor is unhappy and has filed a complaint against the use of the title.
The Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce (KFCC) cleared the title for producer Venkatappa’s yet-to-be-launched Kannada film, which will reportedly star Pakistani actress Veena Malik in the lead role.
Ekta, who had produced Viday Balan starrer super hit film “The Dirty Picture” in Hindi under her banner Balaji Telefilms, has written a letter to the president of the KFCC requesting him to withdraw the permission for the use of the title by Venkatappa. She has given them five-day deadline.
The KFCC executive committee is considering the issue and sources said that KFCC has referred the matter to a legal expert and that they are awaiting a response.
Meanwhile, Trishul says he won’t change the title and that he is prepared for a legal battle.
Said Trishul: “There is no bar on keeping a title of any other language film to be made in a different language. There are several precedents before. We have a Kannada film called ‘Housefull’ (title inspired by Hindi movie) and ‘Bhadra’ (Telugu title). We have legally obtained clearance from the KFCC. Why should we change the title now?”
Apart from title, there will be no similarity between the two films, said the director adding that while the Hindi film was an unofficial biopic on southern sex symbol Silk Smitha, his film will have a fresh story.
“The title may just remind the viewer of a Hindi film with the same name. That is all. My story is original and realistic. It does not have even an iota of similarity with the Hindi film,” said Trishul who has written the story and screenplay for the film.
- 'Dirty Picture' in Kannada excites Veena Mallik - May 24, 2012
- Bengali version of 'Dirty Picture' stalled, Rakhi depressed - Jul 06, 2012
- Bengali version of 'Dirty Picture' stalled, Rakhi upset (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- 'Dirty Picture' not a formal biopic - Nov 04, 2011
- For TV, Balaji sends revised version of 'The Dirty Picture' - Jul 11, 2012
- 'My name is Chang & I'm not a foreigner' (Movie Snippets) - Jul 23, 2011
- Bollywood woman power: Vidya, Ekta carry the baton - Dec 09, 2011
- 'Dirty Picture' could be India's 'Boogie Nights': Ekta Kapoor - May 16, 2011
- Tusshar takes Ekta's criticism positively - Jan 28, 2012
- Andhra High Court clears 'The Dirty Picture' - Dec 01, 2011
- As sultry as it gets-Vidya in 'The Dirty Picture' - Aug 26, 2011
- Vidya Balan Becomes The Hot Choice For Portraying Real Life Characters! - Dec 09, 2010
- Veena gets curvy, says size zero doesn't exist in South - Jul 03, 2012
- I'm not ready to make wedding album: Vidya Balan - Aug 03, 2011
- 'Kites' not to release in Karnataka - May 20, 2010
Tags: biopic, ekta kapoor, film chamber, hindi film, iota, kannada film, karnataka film, kfcc, language film, lead role, legal expert, letter to the president, pakistani actress, sex symbol, silk smitha, similarity, telefilms, trishul, two films, veena malik