‘The Artist’ bags maximum Golden Globe gongs (Roundup)January 16th, 2012 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Jan 16 (IANS) After leading the nomination pack for the 69th Golden Globe awards, “The Artist” emerged as the big winner at the extravaganza by winning three trophies. “The Descendants” followed close behind, with George Clooney taking the best actor gong for the movie.
The star studded ceremony was held Sunday night at the Beverly Hilton Hotel here.
“The Artist”, directed by Michel Hazanavicius, was adjudged the best motion picture- musical or comedy, and it also won the best original score motion picture award for Ludovic Bourve, as well as the best performance by an actor in a motion picture award- comedy or musical, for Jean Dujardin.
Alexander Payne “The Descendants” walked away with two honours — best motion picture- drama and best actor in a motion picture-drama award for Clooney.
The best actress in a motion picture-drama was won by Meryl Streep for “Iron Lady” for her portrayal of former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher. In the best performance by an actress in a motion picture-musical or comedy, Michelle Williams took home the award for her performance in “My Week With Marilyn”.
Christopher Plummer and Octavia Spencer picked up the best supporting actors’ trophy for their work in “Beginners” and “The Help” respectively. The ceremony saw veteran actor Morgan Freeman being honoured with the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award.
Filmmaker Martin Scorsese won the best director for “Hugo”, while Woody Allen’s romantic comedy “Midnight In Paris” won the best screenplay gong, and Steven Spielberg’s “The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of The Unicorn” bagged the best animated film trophy.
In the music category, Madonna won the best original song-motion picture for her number “Masterpiece” from her directorial movie “W.E.”.
The best foreign language film went to Iranian film “A Separation” and it left behind nominations from China, US, Belgium and Spain.
In the small screen category, “Homeland” came out as a big winner. The show, a thriller series about a person who returns to the US eight years after going missing in Iraq and the resulting suspicion of an intelligence officer, won the best TV series drama. It also helped Claire Danes bag the best performance by an actress in a TV series-drama.
Kelsey Grammer won the best actor award for “Boss”.
“Modern Family”, a satirical take on three different families, bagged the best television series-musical or comedy award, while the best mini-series or motion picture made for TV went to “Downton Abbey”.
The award for best performance by an actor in a TV series-comedy or musical went to Matt LeBlanc and Laura Dern for “Episodes” and “Enlightened” respectively.
Oscar winner Kate Winslet flashed a million-dollar smile when she was called on stage to receive the best performance by an actress in a mini-series or motion picture made for television award for “Mildred Pierce”. Actor Idris Elba took the same award in the male category for “Luther”.
The gala saw the glitz and glamour of Hollywood with stars like Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Jane Fonda and Helen Mirren on the red carpet.
- Golden Globe Winners: 'Glee' and 'Boardwalk Empire' Score Big - Jan 17, 2011
- James Cameron wins Golden Globe for 'Avatar' - Jan 18, 2010
- 68th Golden Globe Awards 2011 Winners Declared - Jan 17, 2011
- Golden Globe: Clooney, Streep bag best actor, actress - Jan 16, 2012
- 'Avatar','Crazy Heart' lead 67th Golden Globe Awards (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
- 68th Annual Golden Globe Awards: Who Ruled The List Of Winners This Year? - Jan 17, 2011
- Full List of Golden Globe Winners: 2011 - Jan 17, 2011
- Laura Linney best TV actress, Jim Parsons best TV actor at Golden Globe - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Mad Men' best drama, 'Modern Family' best comedy at Emmys - Sep 19, 2011
- 'Boardwalk Empire' named best TV series drama at Golden Globes - Jan 17, 2011
- Kelsey Grammer, Claire Danes win Golden Globe awards - Jan 16, 2012
- French film 'The Artist' leads 69 Golden Globe Awards nomination - Dec 16, 2011
- Jon Stewart show wins Emmy for outstanding series - Aug 30, 2010
- Pacino, Danes get Golden Globes for best actors in TV mini series - Jan 17, 2011
- Primetime Emmy Awards 2010 Winners Walk The Red Carpet With Glory - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: actor morgan freeman, best animated film, best foreign language film, best original score, best original song, best screenplay, beverly hilton hotel, british prime minister margaret thatcher, cecil b demille, christopher plummer, george clooney, golden globe awards, jean dujardin, lifetime achievement award, margaret thatcher, martin scorsese, meryl streep, michel hazanavicius, octavia spencer, secret of the unicorn