The 1980’s Fashion is Back!October 31st, 2008 - 11:48 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Fashion is always referred to styles of dress but styles may change quickly. In today’s era , the fashion of the 80’s is back weather it was clothing, accessories or hairstyles and the most conservative, masculine fashion look that was most indicative of the 1980s was the wide use of shoulder pads. The brand names became very important at that youth and made Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein household names.
In the U.S. , rising pop star of the 80’s Madonna’s style became a fashion icon and an influential image among the teenagers and was titled the “Material Girl” - her short skirts over leggings, necklace, rubber bracelets, fishnet gloves, hairbows, long layered strings of beads, head bands and lace ribbon. The popular movie and the television show Flashdance (1983) and Dallas and Dynasty also had a similar impact.
The headbands became popular in 1982 and the trend started in California. The other trend also included leg warmers and miniskirts, especially the ra-ra skirts, modelled after the short, flared skirts worn by American cheerleaders.These styles became associated with the Valley Girl trend that was popular at the time.
Among the hairstyles, inn the 1980s, many women dyed their hair plum or burgundy red. The eye wear were the glasses with large plastic frames for both men and women. Ray-Ban Wayfarer became very popular worn by Tom Cruise.
The 80’s Halloween costumes are Gothic Bride described as A top with satin skirt, lace glovelettes , veil with black roses trimmed or Maiden of Darkness which is in Burgundy. For men, Victorian Vampire known as vest with attached Sleeves, and chain trimmed or Count of Mayhem - Vest with Ruffle and attached Sleeves, Poly Cape with attached Collar.
Accessories for the 80’s during Halloween ;Spiderella Wig, Long Flowing Black Wig, Sinister Wig and Cross and Ring Set.
- When fashion went boho and vintage (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 16, 2011
- Shellsuit voted worst fashion trend of 1980s - May 10, 2010
- Chic outfits in bold avtars to dominate 2012 - Jan 01, 2012
- Turn on unisex fashion this winter - Nov 24, 2011
- A range of styles for your bridal attire - Oct 06, 2011
- Fashion Trends In Bollywood (1960 - 2010) - Jul 28, 2010
- Dev Anand Bollywood's original style icon: Designers - Dec 04, 2011
- Try a bindi now with Western wear - Mar 22, 2011
- Lady Gaga launches foul-mouthed rant over her birthday suit - Apr 19, 2011
- Parna Ghose goes to NY Couture Fashion Week - Sep 06, 2012
- Halloween costume history and quotes - Oct 31, 2011
- Soon, dictionary to describe clothes like whorts, cardigowns, treggings - Sep 22, 2010
- Itsy-bitsy cholis spice up Bollywood (Feature) - Dec 03, 2011
- Waistlines rose, beaded pieces ruled Indian fashion (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 24, 2010
- Kate Middleton best dressed bride, say Indian designers - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: 80 s madonna, american cheerleaders, black roses, collar accessories, fashion icon, fashion look, fishnet gloves, flared skirts, halloween costumes, head bands, household names, lace ribbon, leg warmers, plastic frames, ray ban wayfarer, rubber bracelets, satin skirt, short skirts, spiderella, valley girl