Terry Gilliam to be honoured with BAFTA fellowship awardFebruary 4th, 2009 - 3:12 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 4 (ANI): Brit writer Terry Gilliam will be honoured with a BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts Awards) fellowship award at an upcoming ceremony.
Gilliam, 68, who is a former Monty Python star, will follow in the footsteps of Charlie Chaplin, Alfred Hitchcock and Steven Spielberg when he gets the prize.
The comic-turned-director revealed that he was shocked to learn about the award, as he believes he is remembered more for his role in the comedy TV Monty Python’’s Flying Circus than his directing skills.
Awards and honours I”ve kind of shied away from, but this one I”m happy to take. I keep asking myself, why me? It was quite a surprise when they said we”ll give you the Fellowship, as I don”t expect these kinds of things, the Daily Express quoted him as saying.
Im recognised more as a Python than I am a filmmaker I suppose. And it”ll probably be the thing that goes on the gravestone, he added.
The BAFTA awards ceremony will take place at London’’s Royal Opera House on February 8. (ANI)
- Prince Williams to become the BAFTA's new President - Feb 22, 2010
- Prince William unveiled as BAFTA's new president - Feb 22, 2010
- Morgan Freeman to get lifetime achievement award - Oct 13, 2010
- Vanessa Redgrave set to receive Bafta Fellowship - Feb 12, 2010
- Anil Kapoor thrilled about BAFTA - Feb 08, 2012
- 'Hitchcock' role came to Hopkins years ago - Jul 16, 2012
- 'The Artist' wins top honours at BAFTA (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Harry Potter franchise to be honoured at this year's BAFTA awards - Feb 04, 2011
- 'The Italian Job': Voted The Best English Film Ever! - Jan 11, 2011
- Sir Christopher Lee To Recceive BAFTA Honor - Feb 10, 2011
- BBC 'nearly killed off 'Monty Python' - Aug 04, 2010
- Producers Guild of America to honour James Cameron - Sep 23, 2010
- James Franco was unhappy with Oscar script - Jul 12, 2011
- Terry Gilliam to direct an opera - Apr 16, 2010
- James Cameron to be honoured with Producers Guild award - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: alfred hitchcock, arts awards, bafta awards ceremony, british academy, charlie chaplin, comedy tv, daily express, fellowship award, film and television, filmmaker, flying circus, footsteps, gravestone, london feb, monty python, royal opera house, steven spielberg, surprise, television arts, terry gilliam