Terror on celluloid: Documentaries, movies tracking OsamaMay 2nd, 2011 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) Al Quaida leader Osama bin Laden, world’s biggest terrorist who was killed Monday by the US Army, spawned quite a few documentaries and some movies that tracked the 9/11 mastermind who remained a mystery till his death.
Here is the list of some of the documentaries and movies inspired by Ladin:
“Bin Laden: The Early Years”: Director Jon Blair made the TV documentary in 2001.
“The World’s Most Wanted Man”: British documentary by director Rob Carey.
“Bin Laden: The Failings of a Manhunt”: Another documentary that alleged that French soldiers could have killed Osama bin Laden twice but didn’t because they had no orders from the US commanders.
“Dispatches: Bin Laden’s Plan Of Terror”: A 2001 TV documentary by director Eamonn Matthews.
“Meeting Osama Bin Laden”: Made in 2004, the documentary focused on one-dimensional image of Osama bin Laden that dominated Western perceptions. It is said that director Zvi Dor-Ner created an objective piece tracing the life of Osama bin Laden.
“Osama Bin Laden: Behind the Madness”: The 2002 comedy, written and directed by Benjamin Koldyke, had put together the interviews and stories about Laden and his terrorist ways.
“Panorama: The Hunt For Bin Laden” In the same year BBC TV made this documentary that follows a group of American infantrymen as they hunt and destroy Al Qaeda caves and develop a new understanding of their foe.
“Targeted: Osama Bin Laden”: Documentary, 2004.
“Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden?” Documentary, 2008.
“Postal”: The comedy came in 2007 and was based on a 2003 video game. In the film, bin Laden speaks in an American accent and is hiding out in Arizona since 2001.
“Tere Bin Laden”: A satire made by Indian filmmaker debutant director Abhishek Sharma in 2010, it revolved around Osama’s look alike. It was the launch vehicle of Pakistani singer-turned-actor Ali Zafar and newcomer Pradhuman Singh, who portrays Osama in the movie. It was a big hit.
- 'Tere Bin Laden' rakes in Rs 500 mn in opening weekend - Jul 20, 2010
- 'Tere Bin Laden' earns Rs.50 mn in opening weekend (Lead) - Jul 20, 2010
- Pradhuman Singh Is The Talk Of The Town In Goa - Dec 04, 2010
- 'Promising time for small films, but studios reluctant' - Mar 28, 2012
- Bollywood's Laden injured (Movie Snippets) - Feb 13, 2012
- The 'Fake Osama Bin Laden' Revealed - Jul 24, 2010
- 'Laden' dropped from 'Tere Bin Laden' in Pakistan - Jul 11, 2010
- Osama Writes Te Screenplay - Oct 22, 2010
- 'Tere Bin Laden' a satire on Osama (IANS Preview) - Jul 14, 2010
- Hollywood plans movie on US hunt for Osama bin Laden - May 03, 2011
- Pradhuman Singh visits underprivileged kids on the eve of Rakshabandhan - Aug 24, 2010
- Record sale of Osama posters in Pakistan - May 10, 2011
- Abhishek Varma set to create Laden franchise - Jul 26, 2010
- Literature of terror: Books Osama spawned - May 02, 2011
- 'Laden' To Be Franchised - Jul 26, 2010
Tags: abhishek, al quaida, ali zafar, american accent, bin laden the failings of a manhunt, british documentary, dimensional image, director jon, eamonn, french soldiers, indian filmmaker, infantrymen, jon blair, launch vehicle, objective piece, osama bin laden, pakistani singer, tv documentary, wanted man, western perceptions