Tenth Osian festival provides platform to aspiring filmmakersJuly 2nd, 2008 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) The 10th edition of the Osian’s-Cinefan Festival of Asian & Arab Cinema, starting here July 10, is providing young filmmakers a platform to showcase their talent by adding a section on short films. “A film festival should protect and exhibit those who have no platform. The audience is rejecting imitative cinema. A new kind of content is required that has depth. It is time creativity sprouts out of youngsters,” Neville Tuli, founder chairman, Osian’s Connoisseurs of Art said at a press conference here Wednesday.
“The youngsters need to understand that they can create a new atmosphere and in that atmosphere we can move forward as a country,” Tuli added.
The 10th edition of the fest will showcase about 200 films and out of them 42 are short films. For the first time the festival has included short films, which were hand picked by the curator Monika Bhasin.
“Young filmmakers are using a new medium for making films and we are giving them a chance,” said Indu Shrikent, joint festival director Osian’s-Cinefan.
While Johnnie To’s “Sparrows” will be the opening film, the closing movie would be an Indian anthology directed by 11 directors called “Mumbai Cutting”.
The festival will also pay a tribute to well-known playwright Vijay Tendulkar, who died in May this year, by screening his critically acclaimed film “Aakrosh”.
- Osian's Cinefan Film Festival returns in July - Mar 24, 2012
- Osian's film fest begins with tribute to Rajesh Khanna - Jul 28, 2012
- India's screen divas are symbols of Indian femininity: Neville Tuli (Interview)(With Image) - Jun 15, 2012
- Indian, world cinema set new trends at Osian's film fest (Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Osian's film fest back with rare, bold films - Jul 11, 2012
- Two awards for 'BA Pass' at Osian's film fest - Aug 05, 2012
- 11th Osian film fest boasts of changes - Oct 15, 2009
- Osian back with second mega auction of movie art - Jul 11, 2012
- 11th Osian's-Cinefan Film Festival all set to kick of in New Delhi - Oct 15, 2009
- Aamir now owns Shammi Kapoor's jacket - Aug 01, 2012
- Lack of respect for intellect, creativity pained Mani: Neville Tuli - Jul 06, 2011
- 200 movies for 10th Osian's Asian-Arab film fest from Thursday - Jul 09, 2008
- Osian film fest returns, starts July 27 - May 23, 2012
- Make space for arthouse cinema: Kiran Rao - Jul 30, 2012
- 10th Osian's Asian-Arab cine fest kicks off - Jul 10, 2008