Telugu actor Navdeep arrested for drunken drivingMay 9th, 2010 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 9 (IANS) In true filmi style, young Telugu film actor P. Navdeep was early Sunday arrested for drunken and rash driving after a hot chase, police said.
In a reversal of roles, the hero turned villain when he tried to give the slip to the police after spotting a police team checking vehicles for drunken driving in the posh Banjara Hills area in the early hours of the morning.
The incident took place near the Indo-American Cancer Hospital when the actor, who was coming out from a club along with his friend, saw policemen checking vehicles and tried to speed away by driving on the wrong side.
The policemen chased the vehicle and tracked it down some distance away. They arrested the actor and made him sit in an auto-rickshaw. As some cameramen tried to capture the scene, the actor behaved rudely with the police and the auto-driver, asking them to move fast. Navdeep had covered his face with the cap of a policeman.
Navdeep was taken to the Banjara Hills police station where a case was filed against him for drunken and rash driving. A medical test was conducted on the actor at Gandhi Hospital and he would be produced before a magistrate.
Talking to reporters Sunday morning, the actor admitted that he was drunk but claimed that the level of alcohol was within the permissible limits.
“Driving on the wrong side is a small thing but it became a big issue due to the presence of the deputy commissioner of police,” he said.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Stephen Ravindra was leading the police team that was checking the vehicles.
- Tollywood Actor's Run-In with the Law - May 10, 2010
- Drunken driving: Chandigarh court sets a precedent - Jun 24, 2011
- Delhi Police gear up to tackle Holi hooliganism - Mar 19, 2011
- 777 people fined for drunk driving - Mar 08, 2012
- Aamir Khan to keep date with Varanasi auto-driver - Apr 25, 2012
- Serial killer arrested in Ahmedabad - Mar 05, 2011
- Nine die as bus driver goes berserk in busy Pune (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Nine killed as mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus (Second lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Overspeeding truck kills one, injures two in Delhi - Mar 11, 2012
- 30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani city - Jul 22, 2012
- Bengal comes out with directives for cabs, auto rickshaws - Aug 22, 2012
- 'Ra.One' animator critical after accident - Mar 26, 2012
- Two critical in Mumbai drunk driving accident - Apr 01, 2012
- 670 autos fined in Delhi - Jun 10, 2011
- Drunken driving cases have dropped drastically: Delhi Police - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: american cancer, auto driver, auto rickshaw, banjara hills, cameramen, cancer hospital, commissioner of police, deputy commissioner, film actor, gandhi hospital, hyderabad, indo american, magistrate, medical test, permissible limits, police team, policemen, ravindra, telugu film, wrong side