Technician found guilty of stealing celebrity sex photosApril 29th, 2009 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, April 29 (DPA) A computer technician was Wednesday found guilty of stealing explicit photos from Hong Kong pop star Edison Chen, triggering a massive scandal involving a number of young starlets.
Sze Ho-chun, 24, downloaded explicit images from the laptop computer of the singer-actor that showed Chen engaging in sex acts with a number of well-known women, a Hong Kong court found.
He now faces a possible jail term of up to five years over the distribution of the photographs which were seen by millions of Internet users in China and around the world in early 2008.
The 1,300 pictures showed stars including singer Gillian Chung and actress Cecilia Cheung naked with Chen, creating a scandal which tarnished the squeaky clean image of Hong Kong’s Canto-pop stars.
Chen, 28, was forced to issue a public apology, flee Hong Kong for Canada and announce his temporary retirement from showbiz.
At Wednesday’s hearing in Hong Kong’s Kowloon City Court, Sze was convicted of three counts of obtaining access to a computer with dishonest intent. He had denied all charges.
The magistrate told Sze he had been irresponsible and dishonest and stole the images knowing he had no right to them. He was remanded in custody and will be sentenced on May 13.
The trial earlier this month included evidence from Chen, which was given in a court in Vancouver when he refused to return to Hong Kong for the trial.
Prosecutors said Chen was a regular customer of Sze at the computer shop where he worked and alleged that Sze passed the photographs to another person who uploaded them onto the Internet.
Sze is said to have downloaded the images while repairing Chen’s laptop.
The distribution of the explicit photographs had a huge impact on the careers and personal lives on the women featured in them, who later hit out at Chen for failing to apologise to them.
Chen earlier this year received a warning letter containing a bullet telling him to keep out of the public eye after he made his first public appearance since the scandal.
- Computer technician goes on trial in Hong Kong sex photo case - Apr 06, 2009
- Chinese computer technician gets over 8 months in jail for Chen sex scandal - May 14, 2009
- Amid sex photos scandal, Hong Kong pop star gets bullet in post - Mar 12, 2009
- Star at centre of Hong Kong sex photos scandal to testify in Canada - Jan 14, 2009
- Dead diva's mum denied over $100,000 she wanted for holiday - Apr 02, 2009
- Hong Kong student charged with blackmail of priest - Nov 19, 2009
- Woman's body found in suitcase in Hong Kong waters - Apr 05, 2012
- Conman has sex with 70 Facebook pals to ward off bad luck - Dec 17, 2010
- Man plants spyware on computers to photograph nude women - Jun 09, 2011
- Kesha: Who Leaked Her Nude Photographs And Unreleased Music Track? - Dec 07, 2010
- Council bans daughter contact over child images - Mar 07, 2012
- Hong Kong man jailed for molesting girl he met online - Aug 25, 2009
- Woman finds porn in computer she bought for kids - Nov 13, 2011
- NSW MPs may have watched child porn on parliamentary computers - Dec 02, 2010
- Indian-origin court clerk caught watching porn during trial - May 01, 2012
Tags: canto pop, celebrity sex, computer shop, computer technician, edison chen, explicit images, explicit photographs, explicit photos, gillian chung, hong kong pop, jail term, kowloon city, magistrate, personal lives, photos hong kong, pop stars, public apology, sex acts, warning letter, young starlets