Team of Oscar winning ‘Smile Pinki’ meets PM’s wifeFebruary 27th, 2009 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) After a heart-warming reception here on their return from Los Angeles, the team of Oscar-winning documentary “Smile Pinki” met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s wife Gursharan Kaur Friday.
“Smile Pinki”, which has bagged the best short documentary Oscar, is a 39-minute documentary made by American filmmaker Megan Mylan on the problems faced by a little girl called Pinki till she underwent surgery for her cleft lip.
The team of the film, including Pinki Sonkar on whose story the documentary is based, her father Rajender, her doctor Subodh Kumar, and Satish Kalra, South Asia director for the charity Smile Train that helped rectify Pinki’s cleft lip, met Gursharan Kaur at her 7 Race Course Road residence.
“She (Gursharan Kaur) is a wonderful lady, she greeted us very well. She is very nice,” Kalra told reporters at a press conference after the meeting.
“We were called to meet the prime minister but since he is down with flu and was advised by his doctors to not meet any outsiders, Gursharan Kaur welcomed us,” Kalra added.
The prime minister’s wife gifted Pinki a wrist-watch, a bag full of goodies and another gift-wrapped present “along with blessings”, the doctor said.
The little girl had been crying all morning till she met the prime minister’s wife. The meeting pacified Pinki, who was elated with her presents, Kalra added.
- Gursharan Kaur hosts a reception for smiling ''Pinky'' - Feb 27, 2009
- Doordarshan to showcase 'Smile Pinki' on Sunday - Nov 10, 2009
- Pinki will become a doctor, promises farmer father - Feb 27, 2009
- Reality more fascinating than fiction: 'Smile Pinki' director - Nov 08, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' all set to be screened across India - Oct 02, 2009
- American virtuoso teaches violin to cleft-lipped children in Varanasi - May 12, 2010
- Pinki of Oscar winning documentary wishes to be a surgeon - Feb 27, 2009
- Oscar could make India's cleft-lipped kids smile - Feb 24, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' returns to help children with cleft lips - Sep 26, 2009
- India-inspired 'Smile Pinki' bags Oscar for best short documentary - Feb 23, 2009
- Oscar is for thousands of cleft-lipped Pinkis: surgeon - Feb 23, 2009
- Oscar-famed Pinky gets grand welcome - Feb 28, 2009
- Villagers in UP celebrate after ''Smile Pinky'' bagged Oscars - Feb 23, 2009
- Pinki makes her village 'smile' after wooing Oscar jury - Feb 23, 2009
- Pinki to smile again, to be given free education - Jul 18, 2009
Tags: american filmmaker, asia director, blessings, cleft lip, kalra, little girl, manmohan, manmohan singh, megan, minute documentary, mylan, New Delhi, outsiders, pinki, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, satish, smile train, South Asia, winning smile