Tannishtha mastered Kutchi dialect, thanks to local teacher (With Image)August 7th, 2012 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 7 (IANS) Actress Tannishtha Chatterjee, who plays a Kutchi villager in Girish Malik’s “Jal”, had to undergo an intense workshop with the locals to pick their native accent.
Instead of hiring a professional, the Bengali actress preferred to learn it from a local teacher who helped her to speak and perfect the Kutchi dialect spoken in Gujarat’s Kutch district. She spent long hours with the teacher, said a source.
The director was mighty impressed with her effort.
“Tannishtha worked so hard trying to know the language and accent, and did such a homework that she started to improvise the dialogues by adding local lines while delivering her dialogues. That turned out to be a perfect portrayal of the character she is playing in the film,” Malik said in a statement.
Tannishta also made sure that she communicated as much as she could in the local language while on the sets to get a good grip on the language. She even visited the local villagers to observe their mannerism and body language in the Rann of Kutch, where the movie was shot.
Before leaving the location, Tanishtha gifted a token of thanks to her teacher.
“Jal” also features Purab Kohli.
- Mukul Dev to play Kutchi in next (With Image) - Apr 04, 2011
- Eva Green still takes acting classes - Jun 24, 2011
- Shooting in Petrozavodsk is a miracle: Tannishtha - Feb 21, 2012
- Emma Watson owns 20 Bibles - Aug 25, 2012
- Ajay takes Marathi lessons from wife Kajol - Jul 16, 2011
- Hathaway's accent changes in new movie - Aug 22, 2011
- Juhi, Sonakshi go on shopping spree at Patiala (Snippets) - Aug 16, 2012
- Ranbir shoots music video for 'Chillar Party' (Movie Snippets) - Apr 19, 2011
- Tannishtha stars in 'Anna Karenina' adaptation - Oct 11, 2011
- Our society has double standards: Tannishtha - Aug 08, 2012
- Anne Hathaway criticized for her accent in 'One Day' - Aug 19, 2011
- Sunny Deol a thorough gentleman: Tannishtha Chatterjee - Jun 09, 2012
- Proving yourself biggest challenge: Suraj Jagan (Movie Snippets) - Aug 24, 2012
- Aishwarya Wants To Work In Tamil Films After Endhiran Success - Oct 22, 2010
- We promote wrong films, filmmakers in India: Tannishtha - May 27, 2012
Tags: actress, bengali, body language, chatterjee, dialect, dialogues, girish, gujarat, homework, jal, kutch district, locals, malik, mannerism, native accent, portrayal, purab kohli, rann of kutch, token, villager