Taiwan drops Ang Lee’s ‘Lust, Caution’ as official Oscar entryNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:31 am ICT by admin
“It was determined an insufficient number of Taiwanese participated in the production of the film,” E! Online quoted Melidonian, as saying.
The Academy said that the movie violated a rule that required foreign countries to certify that their locals “exercised artistic control” over their submission.
Chen Chun-jer, acting director of the Taiwanese government’s movie department, said the Academy required that at least some of the movie’s personnel in cinematography, music, recording and costume design be locals.
“We and Ang Lee are disappointed. Lee has a good chance of winning an Oscar. This movie was also popular in Taiwan.” Chen said.
Chen said the government respected the Oscar requirements.
“Lust, Caution,” about the sexually charged relationship between an undercover activist and the Japanese-allied intelligence chief in Second World War-era Shanghai, won the top Golden Lion prize at this year’s Venice Film Festival.
Joan Chen, Chih-ying Chu, Tony Keung and Bollywood’s Anupam Kher star in the movie. (ANI)
- Lee's 'Lust, Caution' tipped for Chinese language Golden Horse Awards - Nov 14, 2007
- Taiwan to piggyback on 'Brokeback..' Ang Lee's fame - Dec 01, 2010
- Darbar's charge 'unprecedented and preposterous': Oscar panel - Jun 11, 2011
- Retrospective of ANG Lee films festival to be hosted in New Delhi - Jul 22, 2010
- Another Indian boy in Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi' - May 21, 2011
- Asian love story opens 60th anniversary Berlinale - Feb 12, 2010
- Taiwanese producer wants to make Bollywood-type film - Jul 28, 2010
- Delhi-boy Suraj filled room with emotion: Ang Lee (With Image) - Oct 28, 2010
- 'When Love Comes' wins best film at the Golden Horse award - Nov 22, 2010
- 'Adaminte Makan Abu' out of Oscar race - Jan 19, 2012
- Sonu Sood To Do Ang Lee's Next Movie - Oct 19, 2010
- 'Adaminte Makan Abu' India's official Oscar entry - Sep 24, 2011
- Unknown Delhi Teen Bags Lead Role In 'Life Of Pi' Movie - Oct 27, 2010
- Irrfan Khan To Be Seen As Tabu’s Son In Ang Lee’s Film! - Dec 18, 2010
- Ang Lee Discovers Pi! - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: allied intelligence, ang lee, anupam kher, artistic control, caution, chih, cinematography, costume design, disappointed, golden lion, insufficient number, intelligence chief, joan chen, locals, music recording, said chen, taiwan chen, taiwanese government, teni, venice film festival