‘Taare Zameen Par’ out of Oscars raceJanuary 14th, 2009 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Jan 14 (IANS) Aamir Khan’s directorial debut “Taare Zameen Par” failed to make it to the short-list in the Foreign Language Film category of the Oscar nominations for the 81st Annual Academy Awards 2009.The Oscar selection committee announced Tuesday a list of nine movies out of which five will make into the final competition out of a total of 65 entries with each country choosing one film.
According to a press statement released on Oscars’ official website: “Waltz with Bashir” (Israel), “3 Monkeys” (Turkey), “Revanche” (Austria), “The Necessities of Life” (Canada), “The Baader Meinhof Complex” (Germany), “Departures” (Japan), “Tear This Heart Out” (Mexico), “Everlasting Moments” (Sweden) and “The Class” (France) have made it to the second round.
The five nominees will be announced Jan 22.
Earlier, Aamir missed an Oscar opportunity when Ashutosh Gowariker-directed “Lagaan” made it to the nominations in the foreign language nominations, but failed to bag the award.
- Nine films advance in contest for foreign language Oscar - Jan 14, 2009
- Special honour to represent India at Oscars: Aamir Khan - Sep 25, 2010
- 'Dhobi Ghat' out of BAFTA race - Jan 17, 2012
- Aamir celebrates a decade of 'Lagaan' in style - Jun 16, 2011
- 'Dhobi Ghat' makes it official - Aamir Khan is different! - Jan 22, 2011
- Aamir wants wife Kiran in limelight for 'Dhobi Ghat' - Nov 13, 2010
- 'Peepli Live' - will it make it to Oscars? - Dec 13, 2010
- Asha Bhosle Advises Aamir To Play George Washington - Jul 06, 2010
- Does The ‘Indian Poverty’ Theme Will Only Take ‘Peepli Live’ To The Oscars? - Dec 13, 2010
- The year Aamir, Farhan changed Bollywood creativity - Jul 26, 2011
- 'Adaminte Makan Abu' out of Oscar race - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Peepli Live' out of Oscar race - Jan 20, 2011
- Aamir Khan Voices That He Still Finds It Hard To Enact Roles And That No Role Can Be ... - Jan 28, 2011
- Indian film 'DAM 999' fails in Oscar journey - Jan 24, 2012
- Best foreign picture Oscar nominees - Feb 19, 2009
Tags: 3 monkeys, aamir khan, academy awards, annual academy awards, baader meinhof, bashir, departures, directorial debut, everlasting moments, film category, foreign language, israel, language film, life canada, necessities of life, oscar nominations, oscars, revanche, selection committee, waltz