SYTYCD Season 7 Changes: Mia Michaels Replaces Mary Murphy & Much More!May 28th, 2010 - 3:43 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
May 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Last night began the auditions for the hit show on Fox’s, “So You Think You Can Dance.” As Cat Deeley says, “It’s summer and once again the search is on for America’s favorite dancer. Season 7 will be aggressive since for the first time ever, only 10 people will make it to the ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ stage, and only one will be eliminated each week. Joining Nigel Lythgoe on the judges panel were Adam Shankman and Mia Michaels, who has replaced Mary Murphy as a permanent judge on the show. So no more “Wooohoooo!!” Oh well.
The stage was set, and everyone was ready to represent New York. The first audition is done to the song “Stand By Me” by a dancer whose parent are both golfers. “Had your mom ever played with Tiger Woods?” Nigel asked, much to everyone’s shock. She was sent straight to Vegas, however, so no one seemed to mind.
Jamie Greco, a horror movie maker showed up and showed out in drag, with a fruit bunch on his head. “I almost wore that today, that would have been so awkward!” Adam said. After the dance, which was a veggie-fruit strip tease, Adam states, “I just wanna say ‘I get it’ I feel the same way” After much laughter, he was sent home, although they thought his comedy was brilliant.
Megan, a heavier girl came out, and expressed how afraid she is to dance, with her size being larger than most dancers. She danced so beautifully that Adam and Mia cried, and they all three wanted her to continue after the music was over. Adam told her that she had blown every stereotype out of the water, and that she had just schooled everyone. Mia said “You make me so happy to be a woman of size. I was told that I would never dance because of my body…no matter what size we are, or what shape we are, we are artists.” Nigel told her that her size would make it difficult for her to get a job as a dancer, to which she answered she wanted to change that. Nigel then told her how wonderfully she had danced, and sent her through to choreography. She did not make it through, but she was an inspiration for everyone.
During the night there were many more auditions In New York and Miami, some who were laughed offstage, and several who went through to Vegas. At one point, Adam told a contestant, “I think you like dancing better than dancing likes you.” Teddy was back, and brought Mia and Adam to tears. They both told him how special he was. Adam spoke of how honored he was to be allowed to watch. Nigel told him that last season he disappointed them in Vegas, because he was not what he had shown himself to be, but as he held up a ticket, he told Teddy that he hopes he does better in Vegas this year. Sonya and Jason replaced Mia and Adam in Miami, where the judges were all very disappointed with the talent there. Things picked up, though and 20 of the contestants went on to Vegas.
Aside from Mary leaving, and Mia moving in, there are quite a few changes this season, such as “All Stars” who have been chosen from past seasons to represent the different genres which the show will feature. Each week these “All Stars” will be teamed up with a different contestant. Among these All Stars are: Stephen “tWitch” Boss, Comfort Fedoke, Courtney Galiano, Anya Garnis, Lauren Gottlieb, Neil Haskell, Allison Holker, Mark Kanemura, Pasha Kovalev, Kathryn McCormick, Ade Obayomi and Dominic “D-trix” Sandoval.
Nigel stated that he is “extremely happy that Mia and Adam have returned and agreed to be resident judges, Mia’s outspoken approach combined with Adam’s passion will definitely add a fresh new chemistry to the panel.” Cat Deeley is, of course, still the host of the show.
- So You Think You Can Dance: Season 8 Episode 4 - Jun 09, 2011
- So You Think You Can Dance: Season 8 Episode 2 - Jun 02, 2011
- Billy Bell And Jose Ruiz Gets Eliminated From "So You Think You Can Dance" - Jul 30, 2010
- So You Think You Can Dance : Down to 8 - Dec 09, 2009
- So You Think You Can Dance: Last Dance, Winner Revealed! - Aug 12, 2011
- The Winner Of "So You ThinK You Can Dance" : Russell Ferguson - Dec 17, 2009
- So You Think You Can Dance S06E17: Two of Twelve Go Home - Nov 26, 2009
- Lauren Froderman Comes Out As The Undisputed Winner Of "So You Think You Can Dance" - Aug 13, 2010
- So You Think You Can Dance - Top Ten Perform - Dec 02, 2009
- So You Think You Can Dance: Top 14 Performs - Jul 07, 2011
- Mia Michaels Gets Ready To Judge Dancers! - May 28, 2010
- So You Think You Can Dance: Top 20 Dance...Again - Jun 27, 2011
- So You Think You Can Dance: America Shocks the Judges! - Jul 08, 2011
- So You Think You Can Dance Season 6 Episode 17 - Nov 25, 2009
- Ellen DeGeneres Gets Praises On "So You Think You Can Dance" Finale - Aug 14, 2010
Tags: adam shankman, auditions, cat deeley, dancer, dancers, first audition, golfers, horror movie, judges panel, laughter, mary murphy, mia michaels, movie maker, Nigel Lythgoe, shock, so you think you can dance, stand by me, stereotype, strip tease, tiger woods