Susan Sarandon slammed by Jewish Voice for Peace groupDecember 26th, 2007 - 4:13 pm ICT by admin
New York, Dec 26 (ANI): Actress Susan Sarandon enraged the Jewish Voice for Peace group when she attended a cocktail party last month, organised by a diamond-dealing real-estate mogul.
The party was held at the new Madison Avenue jewellery store of Lev Leviev, who owns the former New York Times building and the Apthorp building on the Upper West Side.
Now, the group has sent the Oscar-winning actress a letter asking her to publicly sever ties with Leviev, whom they are boycotting because he supports Jewish settlements in the West Bank.
However, a representative for Sarandon denied her alliance with the high-end gem dealer.
The activists were outside of Leviev’s store launch in mid-November on the sidewalk with Palestinian flags shouting: You’re glitz, you’re glam, you’re building on Palestinian land and Occupation is a drag, just say no to your gift bag.
A source said that Sarandon marched in and tried not to notice the yells outside.
Now, the California-based grass-roots organization has posted its letter to the actress on its Web site, demanding that she join their boycott.
“As longtime admirers of your work on social justice issues and as Jewish activists, we promote a peaceful resolution to the Israeli-Palestine conflict. We . . . call your attention to the crimes of Lev Leviev and to urge you to publicly sever all connections with him and his company,” the New York Post quoted the letter, as stating.
“Leviev is a very dangerous force not only in Israel. His real estate development projects have been roundly criticized for shoddy building, harsh treatment of workers and dangerous buildings and work sites.
“As Jews who yearn and work for a just peace for Palestinians and Israelis, we implore you to take a public stand against Leviev. Your recent public appearance with him makes it seem as if you support his efforts, and we’re certain this is not the impression you want to give,” it added.
A spokesperson for Leviev said: “These protests are inaccurate in their charges against Leviev diamonds. Leviev is a rigorous supporter of the UN-mandated Kimberly Process concerning conflict-free diamonds and ensures that all gemstones - of all colors - are sourced through internationally recognized legal and ethical guidelines.” (ANI)
- Russia urges Israel to stop settlement expansion - Jun 09, 2012
- Palestinian leaders agreed to define Israel as a Jewish state - Jan 25, 2011
- More Israelis, Palestinians willing to compromise: Poll - Dec 29, 2011
- Israel trying to thwart UN fact-finding mission on settlements - Mar 19, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Arab League for direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - Jul 30, 2010
- Abandon new settlement plans, Russia urges Israel - Oct 17, 2011
- India committed to Palestinian cause: President - Sep 12, 2012
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Palestinians organise local marathon to reject Israeli one - Mar 19, 2012
- Palin slams Obama for interfering in Israeli 'zoning issue' following terror attack in Jerusalem - Mar 25, 2011
- Israeli army demolishes West Bank mosque - Oct 11, 2011
- Israeli intellectuals for creation of Palestinian state - Apr 22, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Israel should meet its obligations to revive peace: Abbas - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: actress susan sarandon, cocktail party, dangerous buildings, gem dealer, grass roots organization, israeli palestine conflict, jewellery store, jewish activists, jewish voice for peace, lev leviev, longtime admirers, new york dec, new york post, palestinian flags, palestinians and israelis, peace group, real estate mogul, social justice issues, susan sarandon, upper west side